CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

THE LOUD SLAM of my house's front door jolted me back from my daydream as my head instinctively turned towards the door of the bedroom. Curiosity overwhelmed me instantly, causing me to scrunch up my eyebrows wondering to myself who could be back home so early. Both of my parents usually worked dead into the night and having them return home at such an early hour was an unlikely occurrence.

"Your parents are home?" Apollo mouthed, eyes wide with horror as I nodded slowly.

"Honey, are you home?" I could hear my mother's voice echo through the house as I jumped out of the bed, adrenaline and urgency coursing through my veins as I yanked Apollo up to his feet.

"Quick!" I tugged at his hands, pulling him up to his feet before I darted across the room and yanked my closet door open. "Get in!"

"What, why?" Apollo asked, confused. However, he continued to walk along with where I pulled him.

"Because my parents will kill me if they knew that I had brought a boy home."

"We're just friends, Dessa. Why would they worry?"

"I've never had such close friends before and I don't need them yapping away at my ear about the birds and the bees. Besides, if you had forgotten, you are a local celebrity around these parts. You know, with how many times you got arrested and put on the news. All that stuff." I grunted, shoving Apollo into the cramped closet space, closing the door on him before he could even let out another word. "And keep quiet."

"Wait just a minute-" He was beginning to say before I slammed the closet door shut, leaning on it just as the door to my bedroom opened.

A familiar mop of sunshine blonde hair appeared in the room, my mother's warm brown eyes landing on me before softening. The fine lines on her forehead softened as she took a step forward, engulfing me in a tight hug.

"There you are, sweetie." When she pulled away, she displayed a dazzling crinkled smile. From such a close distance, I could make out the dark eye rings around the rim of her sockets, the color still showing through her concealer. Wrinkles were already beginning to form around her once smooth skin, making my heart tighten in pain.

"Mom!" I exclaimed, lightly pecking both sides of her cheeks hastily. "Don't take me wrong, I am really happy to see you but why are you back so early?"

"I took the rest of the day off." My mother waved the matter off, laughing. "It's been awhile since we last had dinner together and I thought that it would be fun to just take the rest of the day off with for a little family outing. What do you say to a night out?"

I bit my bottom lip. "Where's dad?" I shot a worried look towards my closed closet door, making sure that nothing seemed too out of the ordinary before turning back to my mother, smiling brightly.

"Your father is still working." She sighed, fingers rubbing her temples as she took in a deep breath. "But if we're lucky, he might be able to meet us later on. We'll just have to see."

"That sounds wonderful!" I laughed nervously. My voice must have been at least an entire octave higher, my anxiousness practically seeping through my pores. I couldn't help myself but allow my eyes to dart repeatedly towards my close where Apollo hid in. She must have noticed my distraught looks because my mother, too, glanced towards the closet door, a frown etching her face.

"Why are you looking at your closet so funny, darling?"

"Oh, no reason. Just thinking of... what to wear for tonight!" I lamely said.

Immediately, the frown on my mother's face lifted, a smile taking its place.

"Oh, that's easy! It's been a long time since I had last styled your outfit and with how many new clothes you've been buying, I think this will be fun. Here, let me take a look."