Chapter Three: The Grand Assembly

That evening, despite the fact he was about to enjoy a great banquet this evening, Donovan was anxious to quickly get it over with. They needed to complete the quest and return with whatever assistance they could gain from their new friends. He took a deep breath, while attempting to push those thoughts to the back of his mind, while he was being guided to his seat. All of them were dressed in rich finery, as befitted the occasion, courtesy of King Osenth and Queen Etwenay. They would wear no traveling clothes this night.

The Great Hall was truly massive in size, with walls of tightly cemented stone, which supported huge arcing wooden beams high above them. The great squared timbers joined a center beam which was truly massive in scale. One entire end of the hall consisted of a split-stone fireplace, within which roared  warm cheery fires. Huge ornately carved tables placed end to end, extended along both sides of the length of the Great Hall. They were arranged, to allow those who were seated to face the center of the hall, with their backs facing the walls.

The other end of the hall, consisted of cooking fire pits where oxen, pigs, fish, and assorted fowl were being carefully roasted by a small army of cooks. The delightful aromas filling the air, made Donovan's mouth water in anticipation of the coming banquet. Each table was laden with platters of fruit, nuts, along with various small cakes and breads. Young cheerful men and women were busily tending each table, filling every goblet, according to the desires of those seated there.

After a lengthy wait, everyone was finally seated in their respective seats. Aberith stepped into the center of the Great Hall. He held his hands up before him, asking for silence. "For those who are newcomers to our country, I am known as Aberith, a practitioner of the arcane arts. When I was but a small child, an elder spoke of an old legend, concerning an elderly woman, a seer who had a prophetic vision."

"'From the corrupted might of the Dark One, an evil army shall rise and march to conquer the world. In numbers uncounted, they are defilers of life, destroyers of many flags unfurled. From the East shall come forth a girl child, filled with the Great Mother's Light. Beside her shall ride one not yet king, a leader born who shall wield the Great Mother's might. A great alliance reborn shall march forth and fight, hope rekindled to end evil's cold endless night,' the aged seer told King Edernof. These words were so profound, the king had them written down, to ensure they would not be forgotten," Aberith said solemnly.

He turned to face all of whom he had captivated before him. With a gentle smile, he beckoned to Brenna. "Come child, please stand here, beside me." The Neeri walked into the center of the room, to stand quietly beside Aberith.

"My order has practiced the arcane arts for many, many years, defending this great country of ours. History tells us once in a great while, a rarity would occur. One would be borne who walked a higher plane of existence, and who could wield power beyond imagining."

The Great Hall had grown silent, as all present were now listening respectfully.

"These few were known far and wide as the Neeri. Through them, A'keen flowed directly from the Great Mother Elliana, herself. These chosen few, opened and entered doorways of knowledge, which the rest of us dared not approach. Their mastery of A'keen was said to be legendary. My child, you are the first we have ever found in over five thousand, three hundred years of searching." Aberith bent down on one knee, as tears ran down his face.

Donovan saw Brenna had changed. Maturity had brought strength, where once there had been uncertainty. She urged the elderly man to his feet. "Please do not bow to me, as I am a child beginning a path which I have just been shown. I bow to you instead, father, as I ask you to teach me your great wisdom and understanding."

The Great Hall exploded with thunderous applause, at the display of respect which had been given to Aberith.

Aberith raised his hands, asking for quiet. "Prince Donovan, we all know you have traveled far. We are all anxious to hear what you have to tell us." The prince approached the center of the Great Hall, as Brenna returned to her seat. What should he talk about, where should he begin? He decided to speak to them, straight from his heart.