The Girl In The Autumn Wood

Who am I? What was I doing here? Why can't I remember why I came to this place?
I couldn't figure it out. No amount of thinking could help me remember what had happened before the curse, before Storybrooke.

I always was alone, at least as far I can remember in my existing memories.

I fretted and screamed, racking my head as to what could have transpired before. Six months went by so quickly, the fleeting time absorbing all of my energy. I lived on the nuts and berries I found in the woods nearby, daring not go into town for frivolous trips. The fall chill began to set in, eventually drying up the bushes and trees. The harvest soon fell away, and I began to weaken dramatically. Day by day, still searching, still racking my brain. Not a word was said, only sighs and screams of frustration could be heard.

And so they were heard. A search party was sent out to find me after people passing through heard my cries in the echoes of the woods. Little did I know that my tears hadn't been shed for naught, but yet, many tears were yet to come. This time, this place, after weeks and weeks of endless waiting for some answer, my answer came.

That was when I first met Henry.

-----

Emma looked down at her phone which held the police records,"Let's see, a few campers have sighted a fourteen year old girl with white hair and gold eyes wandering around here. Supposedly they saw her walk in this general area. No sighted parents or guardians."

"Is she an orphan then?" David clutched his cup of coffee with his gloved hand. The steam rose up through the vents in the lid and clouded in the chilled air.

"Could be..." Emma sighed, folding the police report neatly into her jacket pocket. "When I was in the foster home there were lots of kids who ran off. She most likely ran away from school or the orphanage down near Oak Street."

"Emma, you didn't check the records before we came?"

"Damnit." Emma ran her gloved hand through her blond hair in frustration. "I knew I forgot something this morning. I'm sorry David, I've screwed this mission up, haven't I?"

"Don't worry about it too much, look it's as you said: the girl probably ran from the orphanage."

"I suppose." Emma paused and looked out the window into the golden sunset wood. "We should go and see if she left anything behind."

Emma and David stepped out of the car into the chilly fall air. The area was quiet and appeared to be empty, as if no one had set foot here in a very long time.

David was the first to spin around and search behind the trees for any memorabilia a teenaged girl might have left behind, nothing. No blankets, no camps, not even footsteps were seen in the muddy earth. "Emma, I think we should head back to the station and try to find some sort of clue as to where she is. There doesn't really seem to be a trace of her anywhere here."

"Yeah I guess we should head back, it is getting pretty dark." She looked upward and saw the moon beginning to rise in the east. It was peculiar at that moment, as if some plan had just been set in motion. Emma couldn't decide just what it was she was feeling, but she knew that whatever it was, she was ready. She turned on her heels once she had satisfied her glance at the rising moon and began walking back to the car with David. One by one, she examined every document of the police report given to her and there wasn't one name or description she could peg to any girl she knew.

-----

I heard talking in the distance, they were talking about a girl, a lost girl with white hair and gold eyes. They said they wanted to take her back, they wanted to find out more about her. The talking grew fainter as they walked further and further away. A gasp escaped my mouth, I'd been keeping quiet since they came into the area. I didn't want to be taken away, but I had to find out some information about my past. I knew eventually I'd be dragged off to the stupid orphanage once they gave me my records, but if they had any information about me, any at all, I'd bear through it. The gasp grew to a whisper, the whisper to a word, the word to a shout, the shout to a scream.

"TAKE ME WITH YOU!"

Both Emma and David spun around to see who was screaming. Off in the distance was a tiny white dot. The dot grew closer as it approached. Soon Emma and David were able to make out a teenaged girl running toward them with white curly hair and striking gold eyes. The girl wore a plain, crumpled-looking white dress with a crimson belt around her waist. On her feet she wore no shoes, her toes turning slightly pink with cold as they hit the murky undergrowth.

Emma and David were quite startled by this unearthly looking girl speeding toward them. They didn't move an inch, toward the car or the girl, they just stood in a mixture of shock and perplexment. Something then snapped in Emma's mind and in that moment she decided she had to protect herself and David for some odd reason. Her hands shook violently, slowly reaching for the tranquilizer gun in her holster.

"PLEASE, TAKE ME WITH YOU!" The girl's scream resembled that of a banshee, sending shivers up both David and Emma's spines. Just as she screamed, a cloud of black shadows began to follow the girl, towering over her pale form. The shadows looked as if they were about to encapsulate her despite being generated from the girl herself. Emma couldn't take this any longer and had to put a stop to whatever creature this was.

"She-she's not natural!" Emma gripped the cold metal and loaded the dart into the barrel. The lull of her breath began to speed and she could no longer recognize rhyme or reason as logical thinking. All she felt was fear from the darkness approaching them, in the form of a young girl.

"Emma, what are you doing?" David yelled. "It's just a-a girl, there is no need to get violent!"

"Can't you see the shadows following her?"

"What shadows? It's just a strange looking girl!"

Emma quivered with fear as the girl leading the sea of shadows barreled forward. "Stand back David. I-I just can't ignore this feeling of dread about her." Emma looked to David with eyes of panic, "I'm sorry!"

The girl began to run faster and faster, her feet barely touching the ground. Her gold eyes glittered hungrily as if she wanted to devour any information they had. This hunger manifested on the girl's face as a look of insanity rather than curiosity. Emma twitched nervously and aimed her weapon at the girl's arm. Shutting her eyes, Emma clicked off the safety and curled her finger around the cold metal trigger.

"Emma, NO!" A loud bang was heard as the dart bolted out of the barrel and into the girl's arm, it hit her shoulder dead on. The girl stopped once she was hit and examined the dart. She plucked it painfully out of her shoulder which started the flow of blood from the wound.

I feel so dizzy, the world is slowing down and swirling around me. If I only could reach them....

-----------
Hey guys I hope you are enjoying my spin on season 3 of OUAT. Tell me in the comments what you guys think! :)

 Tell me in the comments what you guys think! :)