Chapter 1 ~ What is a family, anyway?

[edited]

A family. What is a family? By definition, a family is a group consisting of parents and children living together in a household. A group of blood-related people. Yes, she was once young and foolish for she thought that a family could only be with those who are tied to you by blood. However, she soon discovered otherwise. A family could be anyone who cares about the well-being of others. One who prioritizes their loved ones before themselves.

"(Y/N)!"

"Huh?"

A pair of e/c eyes blinked as their owner snapped out of their own thoughts. Y/n blinked slowly and looked around to find herself in the cafeteria. Hmm, maybe thinking about such things in the middle of a school day was not a good idea. Anyway, was someone calling her earlier–?

"(Y/N)! Were you listening?!"

The h/c-haired girl directed her eyes towards the person speaking, a brunette girl with her hair tied on the side of her head with a pink heart-shaped hair tie. Her face showed her apparent frustration as she stared down at her.

"What's up, Ema?" Y/n asked, smiling innocently just to annoy her friend further.

The brunette girl huffed, her usual sweet expression gone, and annoyance had taken its place. "I have been calling you for two minutes! Lunch is nearly over," she said, sighing deeply.

"Ah, sorry," Y/n said with an apologetic smile. "My thoughts may have wandered off to Y/n Land and lost track of time."

Ema shook her head with a smile, amused that Y/n had called her thoughts Y/n Land. "It's alright. Now, let's go to class before we get in trouble."

Y/n nodded and smiled when Ema held out her hand so she could pull her up from her seat in the cafeteria. They both headed back to the class, and as both of them walked through the hallway, and Y/n couldn't help but glance down at the girl walking beside her. She found it a little awkward when she walked side-by-side with Ema for she was suddenly reminded of their difference in height. There was a whole six inches of height difference between the two.

Both girls soon arrived at their classes and the two immediately split to head to their respective desks. As she headed towards her seat, she noticed a couple of boys admiring her friend, prompting her to smile to herself and roll her eyes. Ema was a pretty girl so she was sure that the girl would have many admirers.

As she sat down on her chair, she remained blissfully unaware of the boys in her class who were admiring her as well, and one particular red-haired boy whose face immediately burst into red at the sight of her smile.

...

Once classes were over, Y/n and Ema left the school and headed towards Y/n's workplace - a videogame store. They were only high school students, yes, but Y/n wanted to earn some extra money so she could buy herself the things that she needed. They soon arrived at the front of the store and she bid Ema a goodbye before the other girl headed back to her home.

Y/n pushed the door open to the store and headed straight to the employee's room at the back. She clocked in and quickly changed out of her uniform and into some casual clothing before she pulled out her work apron from her locker. After she shoved all her belongings into her locker, she shut it and locked it, and stepped out of the room.

She slipped her phone into her pockets, an iPhone 6 released a few years ago that she got at a cheap price. She walked around the store and between the tall isles to see if there were any customers that needed her assistance. And also just to see if some customer left a mess in their wake. She soon encountered a customer at the isle nearest to the entrance, just before their glass display.