Chapter 7 ~ Subaru's Birthday

[edited]

"Yes, 20," Ukyo said, frowning when he saw that the h/c-haired girl seemed to be having an existential crisis. "What's wrong?"

She looked up from where she was staring with an empty gaze, e/c meeting blue.

"I just," she started, her voice thoughtful yet in disbelief. "I never expected him to be so... Old. Wait, no, I mean-"

Ukyo had only laughed, the sound warm as it filled the kitchen. "Yes, I understand. You expected him to be younger than that, right?"

She slowly began to laugh along with him and nodded. "Yeah, I thought he would be around 18 or turning 19 or something."

She smiled as she brought her hands behind her back. "If there is anything I could do to help, please let me know."

The blond lawyer seemed to contemplate something before he turned to her.

"Hmm... In that case, do you mind making the cake?"

"The cake...?" she slowly asked, wondering if it's okay for someone who just got adopted to make a birthday cake for someone. Turning 20 is one of the pivotal moments of life, after all. "Of course. Maybe Ema and I could make it together."

"Ah, Ema actually has to stay back tomorrow," Ukyo said as he moved to look at the calendar. "She said she has a meeting for something."

Y/n hummed. "I see. Alright then."

She watched Ukyo as he bustled around the kitchen, and opened her mouth to ask a question.

"Uh, Ukyo-san? Do you mind me asking a question?"

The blond hummed absentmindedly. "Of course not. What is it?"

She pressed her lips, briefly wondering if she should ask, before deciding that yes, she must ask.

"How can you trust me to bake the cake? I might not be able to bake, for all you know."

He looked up from the vegetables he was washing, a knowing twinkle in his blue eyes.

"Well, those you made during that cooking competition says otherwise."

Her eyes widened with shock and she froze, still staring at the blond. How does he know...? She was sure her disguise was good enough!

"Wait," she blinked at him, confused. "You watched the competition? How did you know it was me?"

Ukyo had merely smiled. "By the way you act. Being a lawyer means that I have to analyze people's behavior."

Y/n nodded, though a frown was still on her face. That does not explain how he knew it was her-

"You don't look too different in short hair, Y/n-san."

"Ah, that makes sense."

The kitchen was silent for a moment, the only sounds heard being the vegetables that Ukyo was chopping up. And it made her remember what she came there to do.

"Would you mind if I help with dinner, Ukyo-san?"

"Of course not."

"I will start rinsing the rice then."

...

The next day, Y/n went to go shopping immediately after school. Ema had felt terrible that she could not help her but she had assured the brunette that it was no problem at all.

Okay, she had actually gone home first to go change out of her uniform and switch bags before that. Once she was wearing casual streetwear, a bag hanging on one of her shoulders, she headed back out with Juli. The grey squirrel had insisted that he follow her on her shopping trip to provide her with his protection. She does not really need protection, but the squirrel had not left the property since he first arrived so she figured that he needed a change of scenery.