Epilogue

"The outcome worked in our favour, Azyazel; please stop fretting."

Azyazel interlocked his fingers in front of him, leaning forward on the Smallgrill table.

"I suspect about half of the Frostites were in the human realm when the Artefact exploded. Their world is vulnerable to our invasion. That's our next goal when our troops have sufficiently recovered. The Sentinels are no longer our concern, what with the pathetic few scattered about the other realms." Cimerus sighed. "Shame about the Artefact, but at least there is no trump card to use for an uprising for anyone else."

"And yet she is to return to our midst, despite all that she has shown us – the unpredictability, irrationality, humanity. You still think she is fit to rule?"

"She is my sister. This is her rightful place, as Queen."

Azyazel's hair burned blue for a fleeting moment before flickering to yellow and red again. The small demons at the edge of the room shivered, their heads bowed.

"A Shifter who does not embrace her true nature has no right to lead her demons."

"She's spent a lot of time in the human world being brainwashed by that Sentinel. Now that he's gone, we can bring her back. She's embraced her shifting already. You saw her in battle." Cimerus crossed his legs and leant back in the chair, a small smile on his pale human face. Abaddeon, in his gangly Spectre form, observed the conversation in total silence, his blank face betraying nothing. "Whether she feels it or not is of no consequence. Her instinct has not changed."

"Even before she was banished, her judgement was questionable."

"A soldier who acts without being ordered shows the same questionable judgement, would you not say?" Cimerus tilted his head in curiosity.

Azyazel's black eyes widened. His flames dimmed. Crimson cheeks reddened ever so slightly as his interlocked fingers knotted tighter.

"Whatever do you mean, Cimerus?"

Cimerus smiled at his second-in-command.

"I can see why you did it, although that wouldn't perhaps have been my first option. Such an emotion would almost certainly compromise our realm. Love. How bizarre."

Azyazel remained silent. Cimerus laughed, enjoying seeing the demon squirm.

"You didn't think I'd find out? You didn't think I'd find out about Lilitha's little tryst with the Eali or the fact that you told on Beiomolt without telling me? Granted, it was the quickest way to ensure a clean succession and preserving absolute Shifter values, but I value my sister more than you think, Azyazel. I killed Beiomolt for her, and, much as I keep repeating it to all who ask, it's no lie."

"She doesn't share the values of Shifters. She's a threat to our very existence." Azyazel's voice shook ever so slightly.

"She is no threat. She has no friends, no family, nobody except us. She has no choice, and in time she will re-learn her true self again."

Azyazel glowered with an ill-concealed distrust.

"You are dissatisfied, Azyazel."

"My loyalty is always first and foremost to you, you know that. I will always have your best interest before anything else."

"My best interest is currently Lilitha."

Azyazel bowed his head. On cue, two pairs of footsteps echoed down the marble chamber. Cimerus turned with a wide smile and spread his hands.

"Welcome home, sister."

Remember to vote!