Chapter 60: Sentinel Lords and Shifter Generals

Cimerus struck Talos in a blast of heat and wings. She yelled, her face flushing in a mix of bewilderment and pain. Her heels dug into the ground. The flames dancing on Cimerus's Embirite arms melted some of her armour on impact, releasing an acrid scent of burned flesh and charred metal.

Despite the agony she must be in, she pushed Cimerus back. Cimerus moved into to strike again, landing another blow on her burned arms. The flesh bubbled, showing blisters; the skin around them blackened. She swung her spear blindly. He released her temporarily before bouncing back in, long claws extended. He swiped at her weakened armour. Eyes watering, she stabbed at him, grazing him several times but doing little damage. Cimerus grinned, his blazing tongue flicking outwards. Another swing missed by miles; Talos almost dropped her weapon. Panic flashed across her face. Conjuring two fireballs on his hands, he swept in, propelling himself faster with burning wings. Talos's eyes flashed.

Cimerus screeched. Talos's spiralled spear appeared closer than he'd anticipated. He made to swerve, but his momentum carried him forward. The spear pierced him in the abdomen and emerged cleanly on the other side.

He thrashed, his wings flapping wildly. His whole body turned orange like fresh lava, but the silver spear stayed resolute. Dark blood ran along its edge and stained the ground, thick as tar.

His thin fingers turned white. The air surrounding his body swam. The heat that would have melted steel had no effect upon Talos's spear.

"This spear was built for extremes of conditions," said Talos in a soft voice. Her gaze was icy as the Frostite winter, beneath fine arched eyebrows. The panic that had lured Cimerus to attack was nowhere in sight. "No Frostite nor Embirite can break it."

Cimerus fumbled with the handle. His claws slipped off repeatedly. He hissed and threw himself left and right. That only resulted in agony searing up and down hi sbody.

Talos stepped back. Her arms still emitted smoke. Her dark eyes were unblinking.

"You can't shift, can you?" She tilted her head, a calculating expression on her face. "Not like this. Not with my spear through your guts."

Cimerus snarled. Something flashed by his head. Talos flinched. She lifted both hands to shield her face. A forcefield appeared at the last moment, taking the impact. Fire exploded against the forcefield, which shattered. Talos leapt backwards, pale.

With metal clanging at each step, Eildon, the fourth Sentinel, appeared behind Talos. Sweat ran down his face. He was unexpectedly breathless given how unharmed he appeared. He dropped his raised right arm.

"I'm your opponent, filthy Shifter!" he roared.

Piricca swept in, her giant form throwing the other three into shadows. Blazing eyes glared down at the Sentinels. She sucked in a breath.

The blast of steam made even Cimerus's aflame wings and body prickle. The heat caressed over his skin, the force of the explosion pushing him several steps backwards. Flames danced harmlessly across his body and then the ground, leaving scorch marks in its wake.

All nearby creatures vaporised.

Smoke climbed several storeys in the air. Cimerus drew several breaths of black smoke into his lungs of liquid lava. His claws scraped at the spear, managing at last to clamp onto the end, and pulled it out with a shriek.

Bright golden blood poured out of the open wound. Cimerus's head swam. He gritted his teeth and blocked out the pain. His body ached all over. As the familiar black leather skin replaced his flames and the wings melted into his spine, the pain dissipated. Life coursed through again, albeit more drained than before.