Chapter 7 - Whole Chicken in a Can

"Chelsea, can I talk to you in my office?"

I froze, one foot already out of the sliding doors of SuperSave. I slowly turned around to face my boss, Nina who was standing with her hands on her hip.

"Uh...yeah sure." I followed her to her office in the back of the store and took a seat in the chair on one side of her desk, nervous. My mind was just thinking of all the things I could have done wrong.

This is probably because of the time when I stacked the Whole Chicken in a Can! cans in a pyramid form instead of a rectangle. I thought to myself anxiously.

Nina cleared her throat and said, "Now you're probably wondering why you're here."

"Yes."

"I've noticed that you've been taking on a lot of shifts lately."

"Yes."

She raised her eyebrows but continued on, "Well, I just wanted to ask if everything was ok. The amount of shifts that you are taking on is not normal for a girl of your age."

I stared at her blankly before realizing that I wasn't in trouble and I let out a sigh of relief.

"With all due respect, Nina, I'm doing just fine and picking up more shifts is not a problem for me at all. I thoroughly enjoy working at SuperSave as it really helps me grow as a person" I said to her, trying to sound sophisticated and intelligent.

She peered at me through her kermit-the-frog green glasses while I sat there fidgeting in the chair when eventually, she said "Well alright. You can go."

I almost jumped out of my chair and speed-walked out the door of her office, dodging the hordes of screaming kids and their parents not even trying to shut them up and out the front doors of SuperSave.

Walking across the crowded parking lot, I unlocked my car and I was about to get in when I heard someone groan.

My eyes widened and my head whipped around trying to find out where the sound came from. When I couldn't find the source of the noise, I shrugged, thinking that I had just made it up and I was just about to close my car door when I heard it again.

For a few seconds, I debated with myself about whether or not I should investigate and eventually, my curiosity won. I got out of my car and locked the door, just in case something went down.

I slowly made my way through the rows of cars, not knowing what I was looking for.

All of a sudden, I heard a grunt from behind me and I whirled around. What I saw between two cars, horrified me.

Lying on the cracked, rocklike concrete, bloodied up and bruised was Evan.

I stared at him for a couple seconds before my brain decided to start working again and I sprang into action. I ran toward him and kneeled down on the ground, delirious.

"Evan" I said, frantic "Are you dead?"

To my relief, he slowly opened his eyes and said "Just about, yeah."

At this point, I was in autopilot mode. 

"Ok, so this is what's gonna happen. I have a first-aid kit in my car and I'm going to ru-"

"Look", Evan interuppted abruptly, trying to sit up. "I don't need your help ok? Stop trying to-"

"No you look." I said, starting to get pissed off, "Stop trying to act as if you're too good for everything, ok? I'm not trying to help you because I think you're a decent human being, I'm helping you because I don't want you to bleed out and die on this parking lot."

He opened his mouth to try and interrupt me but I kept going.

"You know who would have to clean that mess up? Yeah, me. So just shut the hell up and stop being a dick." I glared at him, daring him to argue with me again.

He shot me a murderous look. "Do you think I give a da-?

I sighed, looked him straight in the eye and said slowly, "You either let me help you or I call the cops and you have to explain to them what the hell happened to you and answer all their questions."

A muscle in Evan's jaw flickered and his blue eyes hardened, making me immediately regret what I just said. Finally, he gingerly lied back down on the concrete in defeat.

"Don't move." I ordered before getting up and sprinting to my car. A couple seconds later, I return with my first-aid kit in my hands.

If you're wondering why I have a first-aid kit in my car, just...don't ask. 

I knelt down by his side and start assessing his wounds. I saw that he had some deep cuts on his arms and face and those were only the visible ones. The rest is all bruises.

"Umm..." I said, awkwardly, "Do you have any injuries under your clothes...?" I cringed right after I said it, completely aware of how awkward and cringy that question was...but how else was I supposed to ask?

Without opening his eyes, Evan replied, "No, just bruised. None of my clothing is torn."

In my mind, I'm celebrating. Yay!! Just avoided an extremely awkward moment!

The next five minutes consisted of me trying my best to clean all of his wounds with disinfectant wipes and bandaging up the more serious cuts, trying to clot the blood. As for the bruises, there was nothing I could do other than ice them with this ice pack in my kit that turned cold when you cracked it...I don't know how to explain it.

When I was all done, I started packing up all my supplies and declared, "I'm done."

Evan cautiously tried to sit up, looking over his arms to see what I had done.

"What happened to you?" I asked, surprised that I hadn't asked yet.

Standing up, he winced before saying "Let's just say that you're not the only one that finds me annoying."

Confused, I looked up to question him further but he was already gone, limping away into the sunset. How cheesy. 

Wth just happened?!

Please remember to leave a vote and comment because I promise you, it will make my day :)

 - Sara not Sarah