Chapter 1 - Cans of Cat Food

"That'll be $26.10" I said as cheerfully as I could while I was bagging the few items. The woman in front of me rummaged through her purse, pulled out two twenty dollar bills and handed them to me.

She frowned when she saw my name tag. "Where are you from? I've never met an Indian girl named Chelsea."

I held back a snide remark, punched the code into the register and the cash drawer opened up, letting me take out the change.

I turned back to the woman with a forced smile on my face. "Then I guess you haven't met many Indians."

I gave the lady her change and while she was organizing the money into her wallet, I ripped the receipt that had printed, shoved it into the plastic bag and passed it to her.

"Have a nice day." I droned, already looking at the next customer and sighing when I saw someone with a million cans of cat food waiting to be scanned.

---------------------------

I walked by rows of identical-looking houses and stopped once I got to the right one. I made my way up the wooden steps and pushed open the door to the modest yet cozy house my family called home. 

I galloped like a horse up the stairs and opened the door of my bedroom, finding a small fort built out of pillows, chairs, and blankets.

I moved closer and lifted one of the covers and what I saw inside made me smile. My nine year-old sister, Grace, was playing with her Nintendo DS, tongue sticking out in concentration.

She looked up and when she saw me, Grace immediately stood up and exclaimed "Chelsea! You're home!"

I smiled and said "Hey, Grace! This is a cool fort!"

Grace giggled and asked me "Really?" I nodded my head.

"Awesome!" she replied.

"So, I was thinking we should go to the park?" I asked casually, walking to the closet of our shared bedroom and stripping off my work attire.

"YES!" Grace fist-pumped her hand into the air and hurriedly pulled on socks, then made her way out the bedroom door.

I quickly donned a pair of black leggings and my favourite denim jacket with grey sleeves, grabbed my converses and raced down the stairs. I saw that Grace was already waiting outside so I tied up my laces as fast as I could, which still takes pretty long because I suck at tying converses.

Standing up, I yelled "I'm taking Grace to the park! We'll be home in an hour!"

"Okay! Be safe!" my dad yelled back from the living room. "Don't talk to strangers. If someone you don't know approaches you, start screaming for help! Do you have your phone with you? Make sure it's not on sile-"

"Dad! Stop lecturing!" I yelled back,

"Are you back-talking? You know if I talked to my father like tha-"

"DAD!"

I ran out the door and met Grace outside, shutting the door before my dad could continue with his safety lecture. 

 - 

Hey thanks for reading the first part of a new story that I've started! The next chapter will introduce the one and only Evan Woods..*wink wink nudge nudge* so stick around for that!

I WOULD REALLY LOVE IT IF YOU VOTED AND LEFT A COMMENT!! 

- Sara not Sarah