Chapter Nine - The Mistress

The band on stage changed their instruments and began to play a calming, slow song.

Maka gladly accepted Kid's hand and he led her to the dance floor, leaving the girls to giggle and the other students to stare.

Kid stopped in the middle, and Maka wrapped her arms around his neck as the singer began to sing into the mic.

"I'm here again…a thousand miles away from you, a broken mess…just scattered pieces of who I am…"

Kid rested his hands on her hips gently and blushed darkly. Maka giggled and moved his hands so that his arms were wrapped around her waist, causing herself to blush as well.

"I tried so hard…thought I can do this on my own! I've lost so much along the way…"

Kid pulled her closer to him with a grin and rested his forehead on hers, the lights dimming.

"Then I see your face…I know I'm finally yours…I find everything…I thought I've lost before…you call my name…I come to you in pieces…so you can make…me whole…"

Maka smiled lightly and rested her head on his shoulder as Kid gently spun her around.

"I've danced with Soul like this once…" She frowned.

Kid nudged her face back up with his hand.

"Hey…Forget the past, and look forward to what's coming to you in the future."

Maka nodded simply and the smile returned.

"I've come undone…but you make sense of who I am! Like puzzle pieces in your eyes!"

Maka looked up at him, and rested her head on his chest, listening to the soothing and warm sound of his heartbeat.

"Then I see your face…I know I'm finally yours! I find everything…I thought I've lost before!"

Kid looked down at her, attempting to forget about what he was, and what blood flown through his veins. He wanted this moment to be special, for both him and her without a worry in their minds.

"You call my name…I come to you in pieces…so you can make…me whole….whole…"

The band began to play an instrumental and Kid spun her around on the floor with a smile, and she was eager to follow his steps.

"I've tried so hard! So hard! I tried so hard…!"

They slowed down into a calm dance, swaying together from side to side, just staring at each other.

"…then I see your face…I know I'm finally yours…I find everything…I thought I've lost before…"

The weapon partners realized they were the only ones dancing and blushed, both of them laughing a little under their breath. Kid hugged her towards him and rested his forehead on her dainty shoulder. He began to sing the last few verses silently along with the song, whispering them into her ear.

"You call…my name…I come to you in pieces…so you can make…me whole…so you can make…me whole…."

Maka blushed and smiled, just resting her head on his.

Everything was silent for a while, until the whole ballroom burst out in applause, cheering for them and their first kill.

They let go of each other, holding each other's hand, and took a few bows, causing a few students to laugh.

Stein stood next to Spirit by the tables of food and drinks.

He glanced over at him and then at Maka and Kid bowing, both laughing with the other students.