Chapter Eight - Recovering and Celebrating

Kid entered Maka's apartment after she unlocked the door, and headed straight into the living room.

Maka sighed.

"Kid…"

"Not in the mood…I need to think…" Kid muttered gently under his breath, sitting on the loveseat with his head in his hands.

Maka raised and eyebrow, slightly hurt, and sat next to him.

"Okay…" She stared at him as he just sat there and thought, giving herself a moment to admire the stripes in his hair. Finding herself blushing, she shook her head and quickly looked away, feeling like a pervert.

Kid's eyes were wide open, his focus on the expensive carpet below his feet.

"What does she mean by hybrid? Am I still a shinigami? What other abilities do I have? What is my other half? Just what is my father hiding from me? Christ, it's like the rebirth of the kishin all over again…"

"Kiddo-Kun?" He heard Maka's voice tinged with worry and looked up at her.

He raised his eyebrows once he saw her expression of concern.

"What is it?"

Kid suddenly found himself shaking slightly, and saw that his skin was paler than usual.

He sighed and looked away.

"I'm fine…I guess I'm just tired…" He stood up, and Maka resisted the urge to pull him back down next to her. She bit her lower lip and looked away from him.

"Oh…alright then…"

Kid's expression softened and he smirked slightly.

He caressed the side of her face, and she flinched and heated up instantly.

She looked back up at him, startled.

He chuckled under his breath.

"Don't worry about me, okay? Worry about you."

He bent down slowly and kissed her cheek lightly. Maka blushed darkly and she felt a rush of adrenaline flush through her veins. When he removed his hand and lips from her face, her body turned cold, like ice.

He gave her one last smile before he looked around the room.

"So…Where am I going to sleep?"

Maka stood up and took his hand tightly in hers eagerly, selfishly wanting the warmth to return into her veins. She didn't understand the concept of his touch, and its effect on her. But she liked it quite a lot.

"I'll show you."

...:oOo:…

Over the next few days, Maka and Kid spent their days freely. Spirit or Stein came and checked in on them here and then, and reported back to Lord Death to tell him how well they were healing.

Lord Death sighed under his mask, watching the two through his mirror as Stein and Spirit stood behind him.

Maka and Kid were lounging on the couch lazily in their pajamas, despite that it was 5:00 pm, watching a comedy movie together. The guy on the TV ran across the screen and into a tree and said something retarded, causing both of them to snicker and giggle childishly.

Lord Death turned to Stein and Spirit, who wore serious expressions.

"Alright you two, you did what I asked you to. You are dismissed."

They both nodded and walked out of the Death Room without a word.

He turned back towards the mirror, seeing the happy smile on Kid's face as he laughed with Maka.