Chapter Five-Weapon Maka is...

Maka woke up to Kid calling her name from the kitchen.

"Maka! You don't want to go to practice hungry, do you?"

She took a deep breath, sat up, and stretched, the smell of pancakes reaching her nose; her mouth watering.

"Mmm…..no….."

"Then get in here!"

Maka giggled slightly through a yawn, got up, and went a room over, which was the kitchen.

She sat down on a stool at the counter, her eyes closed and her hair messed up.

"Nnn…"

She heard Kid chuckle in front of her and swore that she actually heard the sound of him rolling his eyes as he worked the stove.

"You can have coffee to wake you up, y'know. My coffee maker still works."

Maka sighed and rested her forehead on the counter.

"Too lazy…" She groaned.

"Sorry I woke you up last night. If it weren't for me, you'd probably be your usual alert self."

She laughed weakly.

"Oh, shush. You couldn't help it."

As he set down her breakfast plate in front of her, she threw her head up excitedly, starving, and snapped her eyes open.

She gripped her fork and was about to take a bite, when she noticed that Kid didn't have a shirt on.

Her jaw dropped, and the piece of pancake she was about to savor fell off the fork and back onto the plate.

Kid didn't notice that she was staring however, for he was too busy dishing up some pancakes for him too.

Still staring, she cleared her throat and closed her jaw.

"I thought shinigami can't be hungry…"

Kid smirked and shrugged, pouring syrup over the top of his breakfast.

"That's just a rumor. We are hungry like you."

"Can you guys see in the dark?"

He nodded and took a seat on a stool in front of her, beginning to eat.

"Now that's a rumor that isn't complete bullshit."

Her eyes widened and she looked down at her hands which were clasped together nervously, clammy.

She couldn't believe he was using that kind of language…

"I suppose he was just as carefree as this with Liz and Patty… I shouldn't be surprised."

She finished her plate and put it in the sink, washing it off.

"How can you be so happy this quick?"

She flinched in surprise when he spoke behind her and turned to face him.

"What do you mean?"

His golden eyes were closed half way, and dark hair hung in his face flawlessly.

The sunlight from the sunrise that shined through the kitchen window reflected in his eyes, making them look even more golden than what she was used to.

He held an empty plate in hands and set it in the sink, now standing beside her.

"Y'know… How can you get over something like…?"

He didn't have to finish his sentence, and Maka looked over to the side.

"I'm not over it, Kiddo-Kun. I'm just trying to be happy again. I can't waste the rest of my life being depressed."