⊰2⊱

🌹

Hearing the girl's footsteps become silent in the distance, I pull down on the straps of the backpack, snugly securing it flat against my back. Too loose, and it could be of use for a vampire to snag it, taking me off guard. The wind blows across my face in a more gentle manner, dying down, the few stray hairs that brush across my cheeks, I place carefully behind my ears. I move quickly now, knowing very well, that there is no taking for granted that another vampire has not discovered Reed's death.

The best type of vampire, is a dead one.

Drawing my right Maxim 9, unbuckling the left dagger at the side of my calf, I approach the front of the supermarket. The lights illuminate each and every item that is in the store, including a boy who can't be older than his late teens. There is no one else within my sights, the boy leaning against the check out counter with a look of boredom. His brown hair is gelled, the same eyes reflecting the light from overhead.

Right as I reach for the hand of the glass door, it slides open automatically. His attention is drawn to me, setting foot inside the medium size store. The once look of boredom quickly turns to sheer panic, those eyes of his glancing to each of my weapons. Raising my gun, I pull the trigger without hesitation, pointing the barrel at the camera near the corner at the front door. Next, my shot is fired to the one directly across from the boy, his hands covering over his head while he shakes in fear.

"D-D-Don't kill me!" He cries, crouching down behind the counter and near his register. As I walk toward him, he fumbles his hands over the buttons of the register, the drawer snapping open as it prints a receipt, "T-Ta-Take the money!"

He's human.

Probably managing the store so his master can enjoy a night out without the burden of having to making a living.

"I'm not here to rob you," I tilt my head to the side, my eyes peering at the confused look on his face. When he rises to his feet, his hands go out behind him, shutting the register in the process and catching his pinkie finger on the corner.

"Crap!" The boy yelps and tears his hand away from the drawer, bring it in front of his face to access the damage. He is wearing navy blue jeans, the hems of the pants covering the top of his dark sneakers. The green shirt with the store's name is the only thing visible beneath of the brown apron he wears.

I notice the silver bracelet around his wrist, he too, does belong to a vampire. Surprising me that he would allow his human to be out during the night hours, though technically, he is inside of the building. I really hadn't paid much attention to those bracelets, or maybe it is just the area that I am now in.

This explains why no vampire came outside to aid their kind. This boy is the only thing watching over this store.

"I don't want your money," I spoke again, the boy drawing his attention away from his throbbing finger.

"Then what are you here for? You have weapons...so I am going to assume that you ran away from your master?" He questions my life like he knows me. He know absolutely nothing about me or the struggles I have been through. "My master...he'll be back soon..."

Swinging my boot up onto the edge of the counter, I slip my dagger back into the holster on the outside of my left calf, my eyes never leaving the boy. "I have never been owned by anyone," I inform him, that same expression I receive everywhere I go, comes across his face and exhales a small and astounded gasp.