Chapter 13: Broken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Natasha's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mama! Your home!" I said as my mother finally returned. She walked through the small little burgundy door. She had been gone for the past four days for her job. She had never been away so long, so it scared me, but I had my Papa to protect me.

"I could never miss you're birthday my sweet Natalia," My mother said. Her hair reflected beautifully off the radiating fire of the fireplace. Her name was Amelia. She looked very much like me, but had golden brown eyes.

"We have something very special for you, sweetheart" my father said, as my mother pulled me into her warm arms. My father went to fetch something from the cupboard in our quaint little house. We weren't a very rich family, but we were happy. Papa walked over to me, and his bright emerald eyes met mine. This November 22, was my 8th birthday, the snow outside the windows fell down with such beauty against the purple sky. But something didn't feel right and I knew it.

My parents showed me my present with bright smiles on their faces. It was silver locket, engraved with my initials on the front. With a picture of all of us together on the inside, the back side had a picture of a very beautiful rose, which were native in my town and my favorite flower.

 With a picture of all of us together on the inside, the back side had a picture of a very beautiful rose, which were native in my town and my favorite flower

"It's perfect mama and papa," I said completely mesmerized my its beauty.

"We love you so much Natalia,and we will never stop loving you, no matter what happens," Mama said. I smiled back at her, with a light in my eyes, a light I haven't used in a long time. We stayed there together a little longer, keeping warm by the crackling fire place.

I had heard my parents, talking one day about mysterious kidnappings of young girls in the city, but never in our small village.

But peace never lasts, especially not in my world.

So the chaos began...................

The slow crackles of fire suddenly burst into an explosion as we raced to get away from the never ending flames. How could this have happened, there was nothing flammable next to the fire. But even so there was fire everywhere.

"Natalia, come on, we need to hurry!" my mother shouted as she grabbed my hand, pulling me away from the engulfing flames. As we reached the door, I heard a gigantic bang, and saw one of the beams in our house fall. My father quickly pushed us out of the way and out the door. But his leg got caught under the beam.

"PAPA!" I screamed. My mother was trying to be strong but I could tell she was breaking from the inside out.

"Natalia, you need to run" he whispered as the fire made his way closer towards him.

"No Papa we can get you out," I told him. My mother started to pull him as I heard footsteps faintly approaching us.

"Natalia," I heard my mother call but I wouldn't pay attention I had to save him.

"Natalia!" my father yelled.

"No we can do this,"

Then I heard the first gunshot. Pelting my father in the heart. I looked in the direction of the gunshot and saw two people coming towards us.

"No, no no no Papa don't leave me," My knees buckled as I fell into the cold powdery ice around me.

"Its ok Natalia, you will be ok, I love....," his final words as the last bit of life left him.

My mother started to pull me away, as her tears were flowing heavily down her face. I could see the two people coming closer, one man and one woman.

"We need to go Natalia," She told me as we started racing away. I didn't understand what was going on all I knew was that my father had just died in front of me, and I couldn't save him.

Then came the second gunshot. This time hitting my mother in the calf. She fell down into the sheets of white.

"Mama," I cried , more tears falling down my face than I could wipe away.

"Natalia, look at me' I brought my eyes to meet hers' I need you to be strong for me, don't let them make you into something your not, keep love, it will be your strength, and know that I will always be with you," she stared at em intently with such love in her eyes.She kissed my forehead, for the last time. Tears over whelming me.

I didn't understand what she was talking about, what will they change about me, who are these people, thoughts cloud my head. I need to keep focus.
The people were now so close now I could almost hear their breathing through the silentness.

"Now RUN!" She screamed as much as her lungs would let her.

And I ran as fast as I possibly could away from them. The odd thing was they weren't chasing me.

I had almost made it to the beginning of the forest as I looked back, the third gunshot hit, and I heard my mothers last scream.
All I could do was whimper, I couldn't scream, I had no voice left in me. No love left in me. I had just lost both my parents, I had nothing, no one. I was broken.

As I was looking back I tripped over a fallen branch, and fell hard onto the ground. I took everything in at once, the snow engulfs me, and the last thing I see, are those two people, staring over me, the ones that killed my parents, I wanted so hard to get up and fight them but I couldn't, I couldn't even stand. Dots and specks slowly clouded my vision. But I had to hear what they would say.

"She will make a fine spy don't you think," said the female voice.

"Perhaps, It will take much of effort to rid her of her ethics, to rid her of compassion, she is the oldest recruit we have ever taken in," said the male voice.

"Leave that to me," she said.

That's when I blacked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My breathing was so rapid. I thought my heart would burst out of my chest. All those memories hitting me again and again were breaking me into tiny pieces but also building me back up. I can't remember much about my past, it comes in waves. The sun light seeps through my curtains and I remember all the pain of yesterday. Of my past. Of my present.

My future though thats what I'm not so sure about......