Chapter 10: First Light

(If you would like you can read with the music 😊)
----------------------------------------------

Steve's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had finally fallen asleep when Fury had to announce through the intercoms...."Thanos has found the space,reality, and power stone in a matter of days, he has scouted the edges of the galaxy in a hunt for the infinity stones. We only have the mind stone. We have possible areas for where the last two stones are and have sent shield agents to look for them, so for now we are in the clear no missions for the week," Fury announces through the intercoms to all our rooms. It was 12 at night and I knew I wouldn't get back to sleep so I decided to got down to the gym.

As I left my bed I felt the warmth of the sheets leave my body as my feet touched the cold floor. I made my way down the hall. And realized I wasn't the only one awake. I could see Tony working away on one of his suits and Wanda sitting on the couch reading a book. The lights were low but the fluorescent lights of the tv caught my eye. The headlines on the news read...

'AVENGERS OR VIGILANTES,
After the events of the so called civil war the Avengers are back, with the Sokovia accords still in place what will they be...HEROES or CRIMINALS, only time will tell if they agree to be a part of the law'

I knew we were doing what was right, people die every day, it's our job to save as many people as we can but we aren't invincible which means we can't save everyone. No matter how much we want to.

I walked into the training room and started to pad up my hands. Thoughts plummet into my head of all the battles we have won and Shield crumbling. My heart brings me to Nat and how she was with Bruce. I was happy for her, but there was an underlying layer of regret. I clenched my hand and..'PUNCH' I took all my anger and brought it down in the punching bag.'PUNCH' why were you so stupid Steve why couldn't you just tell her how you feel. 'PUNCH' why did you let her go 'PUNCH' why was she with Bruce 'PUNCH' why did you kiss Sharon 'PUNCH'.The bag flew off the hook and made a big dent in the wall.

I slowly took the pads off, my mind racing and sweat slightly forming on my forehead, not because of the boxing but because of all the bottles up emotions that I needed to get out. I  made my way back to my room when, to my surprise, a familiar red head caught my eye. She was sitting in the windowsill looking out at the stars. Everyone else had now gone to bed.

My eyes gaze at her, her face almost iridescent in the moonlight. She was so beautiful, no she was gorgeous.

"Can't sleep, Rogers," she says.

"Nothing but nightmares," I answer.

She nods and I know she was feeling the same. I sat next to her and looked up at the night sky.

"It's beautiful isn't it, the moon the stars, just all the light, overwhelmed with darkness, but no matter what they still shine so bright," she said her eyes sparkling as bright as the stars.

"Yeah it's amazing, it make you think how we aren't that different than it, our true power shows through in the hardest times," I said.

We stayed like that a little longer just peaceful, as the soft breeze blew, with the smell of the forest engulfing us.  Until I broke the silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Natasha's POV

"Have you heard from Bruce, I mean you two seemed to have something last time I saw him,"He asks me.

My hand tightens around the windowsill as I think. I don't know what to tell him how I really feel is better kept buried deep.
I averted my eyes from his gaze as I pondered my answer.