Chapter 8: Next

Steve's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fury had come back with Tony, Rhodey, and Vision by his side. It will be very tense with him around but it would be a lot harder to beat Thanos without them. We called Thor in Asgard and he said he would come soon. We got a lead on were one of Thanos's headquarters could be and where his supporters could be hiding.
It was an abandoned Hydra base from WWII in Germany. We were going to scope it out today.

We were all locked into the quinjet as we blasted off. I looked at Nat who was sitting across from me.

"Why are you staring at her so much," Sam whispered smirking.

"I'm not," I stated as I quickly turned my head to see Sam, sitting next to me.

"Cap I'm not stupid, I know there is something going on there, I mean you and Sharon were cute, but I could feel your heart wasn't in it," he recalled.

"I don't know Sam, she wouldn't feel the same anyway we are just good friends,"I lied to him. To me we were something more than friends.

"Well just friends don't look at each other like that," he whispered looking at Natasha but she quickly turned her head before I could see. Just then we started to land.

"Ok, Tony and Vision will go to the north side of the building. Sam, Rhodey, and Clint will take the South,and Cap, Wanda and I will take the top floor," She reminded us. We all nodded and ran out of the quinjet. 

The building door was a huge metal block, Natasha hacked her way into it and we went inside. It was very unsettling though there wasn't a soul in there. But we kept going, my team went up the stairs to the second floor and we saw... They were everywhere,Hydra or Thanos's army we didn't know. I immediately threw my shield to knock two of them out as I saw Nat had already got 5 of them I the floor. She used her Black Widow move to take one of them down as Wanda captured one to interrogate, while simultaneously knocking others down with her powers. It wasn't long till we took them all down and started to talk to one of them.

"Do you work for Thanos or are you just another Hydra agent," Natasha interrogated.

"I won't tell you anything," he snapped  back. Wanda used her telepathy make him tell us.

"AHhhh, alright, alright, just make it stop,"he begged. Wanda stopped and he began to answer.

"This is one of Hydra's bases but it's been over run by one of Thanos's close allies, they are extremely powerful and you should all fear what he will do,"he explained. I looked at Nat and see she is looking at something else. I follow her eyes to see hundreds of files scattered on the floor. She walks over to pick one up.Her eyes look at it in disbelief,

"Nat what is it?" I ask her.

"It's my file but not Shields file of me...... How do they even have this I destroyed all of my files,"she gasped. Her eyebrows were furrowed and she frowned.

Wanda knocked the guy out and we walked over to Natasha.

"Nat we need to keep going,"I say.

All of sudden we heard clapping.

"Well done very well done," said a female voice, I looked Natasha who had a determined look on her face.

"You... you're the woman I saw at the raft," Natasha revealed.

"Are you saying you don't remember,"the women looked offended.

"No, why,who are you," she asked fear slowly creeping up her voice.

"I was your trainer, the person who made you everything you are, I am the leader of the Red Room, Madame B, I was hoping my prized pupil would remember me but then again we did implant you with fake memories,"she implied.

Natasha looked completely nerve recked.

"Why are you here,"Wanda asked.

"Oh I may just work for a very powerful being named Thanos that has one of my many goals, to end the Avengers,... so the Red Room can have its top killer back," she said in an almost mockery tone.

"Now it's time to end this," she said, as I heard 3 gunshots. I see Wanda use her powers to stop Nat's and hers but didn't have enough time to stop mine.
But I never felt anything, but I realize, I wasn't the one who got hit. She jumped in front of me.

"NAT," I screamed.I look at her face and she just mouths.

'I'm so sorry,but it will be okay,thank you for everything' she whispered before she blacked out.

"Good luck getting out of here before this whole place blows,"Madame B. Cackles as she went off.

"Wanda tell the others now,"I yell as I try to stop the bleeding on Natasha wound. It hit her directly in the gut. "Guys, come in, it's trap this place is rigged to blow we need to get out.. And Nat's been shot,"she said her face completely still.

"What," I hear them all say.

"We don't have time to explain we need to get out of here now," I say as I quickly pick Nat up bridal style and race down the hall with Wanda by my side, using her powers to keep up.We race down the stairs and quickly run down the next hallway. I see the door and quickly bring my shield up to blast through it. I partly see the other watching from the quinjet. They run up to us and lift us into the quinjet. I quickly sit up as I see the building erratically explode, we barely made it out. Wanda's eyes are frantic as she stares at Natasha. 'She jumped in front of me' I thought, why would she do that. I see Clint's face in  complete horror. Everyone was in pain.

"Is she going to be alright,"I worriedly ask Tony who was trying to clean the wound.

"I don't know we need to get her to a hospital now, I don't know how much damage this has done to her internally," he tells me.

All I could do was stare at her. She was unconscious but she looked almost at peace. How could I let her do this, why didn't I see the bullet coming, I could have saved her.. These thoughts race through my head as we soar through the sky, wondering what would happen next.