7 - Little Sisters

When I woke up the next morning, the other side of the bed was empty. I wondered where David was until I heard someone in the kitchen. Two minutes later, he came into the bedroom and sat down beside me.

"Morning. I made us some breakfast." David leaned down and gave me a kiss on the lips. Then he stood up and walked out of the room again. I got up and followed him into the kitchen. David must have been to the bakery, because there were fresh croissants on our plates. "Thank you.", I said to him and sat down.

"It was really nice seeing your parents again."

"Yeah, it was okay." Not looking him in the eye, I took a bite out of my croissant with Nutella on it. Don't judge, everyone loves Nutella.

"What's wrong with you Mae? Why are you so distant since last night?"

"Wow, you really have to ask? David I know this topic is annoying, but I feel like the only thing that matters for you is your job. You're either away on business trips or you talk about your job when you're home." I looked up and saw David getting angry.

"Mae, we've talked about this so many times and you know I can't change it! I won't quit my job just because of-"

"Just because of what, David? Just because of me? Why do you even want to be with me if all you care about is your job? I try so hard to make this work. Do you know how many times I want to scream at you to not go when you're leaving for a trip? I put so much effort into this, but it seems like you don't!"

I stood up and the stool I sat on fell down because of my quick movement. "Gosh Mae, don't be so overdramatic!"

I glared at David and returned to the bedroom to get changed.

I really don't know what else to do with David. Everything I said was true, he doesn't try hard enough to make this work. It feels like nearly every conversation we have is about his job, which means nearly every time we speak, it ends in a fight. Of course, I still have feelings for David and he is a very sweet guy, but do I really want to be in a relationship that doesn't make me happy any longer?

Sighing, I went back into the kitchen. David wasn't there anymore. Typical. After almost every fight we have, he goes out to meet a friend and comes back a few hours later. He tells me he's sorry and I forgive him. That's how our relationship has been for the last couple of months.

I put away what was left from our breakfast and sat down on the couch in the livingroom with my laptop. I spent the next hours planning lessons for next week and going through my mails. Some students actually took the chance to send me some pieces of their writing, which I proposed to them in class to see what they can improve. I enjoyed reading their works and was pretty surprised, because a few were very good.

After another hour, I realized that there was something I completely forgot about yesterday. The school's, or should I say, Marc's soccer match. Even though I knew I wouldn't be able to be there, I wish I would have. It would've been way more fun than the dinner I had at my parents' house.

David came back at 10pm, with a big bouquet of red roses. He smiled and handed me the flowers. I took them, but his smile didn't impress me at all.

"You know you cannot solve every problem with flowers, right?" I took out a vase and put some water in them, before doing the same with the roses.

"Mae..."

"No, David. If you still want to be in this relationship, you have to do something about it. Not me You."

At this point, he seemed desperate. "What do you want me to do?"

"I don't know David. I don't know." With that, I placed the vase onto the dining table and then went into the bathroom to shower.