31 ~ A private dance

The first thing I noticed was the candlelight illuminating the dark room. There was no artificial light, just the soft orange shine from the dozens of candles that were placed on desks, shelves and the floor. The desks that were usually placed all over the room were pushed to the sides, as was the teacher's desk.

My mouth was wide open and I was in awe, trying to soak in all the things I was seeing in front of me. There were rose pedals all over the desk and the floor. Standing in front of the windows, with his back towards me, was Marc.

I was suddenly anxious that someone would find us and see inside the classroom, so I quickly took two steps into the room, closed the door and locked it, just to be extra sure.

When I turned back around, Marc was facing me. He had a smile on his face, his eyes travelling up and down ma body. "You, god you look so good." He whispers and starts to approach me.

I could feel the blush creeping onto my cheeks. Marc was now right in front of me. "Close your eyes and hold out your hand." He says in a calm voice.

I followed his instructions and held out my left hand. I felt him take it into his own. Then, he slipped something over my fingers and onto my wrist. It was light and cold against my skin. I blinked and opened my eyes, immediately focusing on the piece of jewelry that was now around my wrist.

It was a golden bracelet that had a single pendant on it. I held up my wrist to take a closer look at it. The pendant was shaped like a sun. "I know it sounds cheesy, but it reminded me of you. At first I wanted to give you a flowr corsage, cause you know, it's a school dance. But I don't want that to define us. And what we have."

Marc takes my hand back into his and brings it up to his lips. He kisses it lightly and takes a step back. Pulling me with him, we make our way to the middle of the room. It was then that I realized that there was music playing in the background.

"It's beautiful, thank you." I whisper once we were back to standing opposite each other.

"You're welcome." Marc says and leans down to give me a soft kiss on the lips.

"So... what is this?" I ask him.

"This", he looks around the room, "is my little surprise for you since we cannot really spend time together in the gym."

Marc walks over to one of the desks that is pushed against the wall. "I got... speakers, hot dogs-"

"Hot dogs?" I laugh while walking towards him.

"Yup, hot dogs."

I gave him a weird look. "It was the easiest thing to organize. If you want to I can cook you a real dinner soon."

"Hot dogs are totally fine with me. I like them." I say and rest my head on his shoulder. "Is that champagne I see?"

"Yes it is. I thought since the food wasn't that great I at least needed something better than the same old fruit punch they serve at the dance."

"As your teacher I should givv you detention for bringing alcohol to school with you-"

"But as my girl-" He stops talking .

"As your girl-what?" I ask him. I lightly pull on his arm so he was close to me. Putting my arms around his waist, I look up into his eyes.

Marc's cheeks were flushed and he was avoiding eye contact. I tightened my grip around his waist so that my body was completely against his. I don't know if I imagined it, but I was sure I could hear his heartbeat. I raised my head and looked into his eyes. "Ask me." I whisper.

He lowers his gaze. We looked into each others' eyes for a while. The only thing I heard was one of my favourite songs playing in the background.

"Mae Hemmings" he says with a low voice, "will you make me the happiest man in this school tonight and be my girlfriend?"

Within seconds, a big smile makes his way onto my face. Instead of answering him, I stand on my tiptoes and press my lips onto his. I feel his arms wrap around my waist while our innocent kiss turns into a deeper one.

"I love you, Mae." Marc mumbles before putting all of his attention back into the kiss.

My arms wander from his waist to his head. I can feel his soft hair under my fingertips and I can't help but lightly pull on it.

"Hey, hey. We're at school Miss Hemmings, I don't think we can do this" He chuckles.

"Shut up." I put my lips back onto his and we spend the next few minutes just kissing and cuddling in the classroom.

After a while, Marc pulls away and presses his forehead to mine. "Let's dance."

"Dance?"

"Yes, dance." Marc goes to the speaker and changes the song to another one of my favourites. He then pulls me back to the middle of the room. Surrounded by candles, he pulled me close towards him and my arms automatically wrapped themselves back around his neck. We slowly sway from left to right and I don't know if I have ever felt this comfortable and secure in my life.

As I place my head on his chest I cannot help but think that this is where I belong. Right here, right now. In Marc's arms.

After the song was finished, Marc purs both of us a glass of champagne.

"We need to take this bottle back home with us when we leave. No one can see it." I say to him while taking my glass fromm his hand.

"Relax."

"I am relaxed. Just wanted to point it out." I say. "By the way... I love you, too."

The smile on Marc's face grows and he lightly touches his glass with mine.

"To us."

"To us." I say.