30 ~ School dance

On Saturday afternoon, I make my way over to Marie's. Even though we are only chaperones, we still want to look good for the dance, so we decided to get ready together at her house.

Earlier that morning I had gone to my parents' house because some of my clothes were still there, mostly formal wear. I went through the dresses and decided on a knee-length, flowy black dess. It was comfortable and I think that it was still appropriate for a teacher.

I ring the doorbell and five seconds later, Marie opens the door for me with a big smile on her face. "I'm so excited for tonight!"

"You're actig as if it was our school dance, not our students'." I laugh while making my way through the hall towards her living room.

"My school dances were always lame. I bet you this one is going to be the best one I've attended yet."

Marie walks into the room and for the first time I notice that she is already in her dress. It was a beautiful dark green, floor-length dress. "You look amazing, Marie."

"Thank you. You think I look good enough to impress Sev?"

I look at her with wide eyes. "Wait... you have a thing for Sev?" He was one of the younger teachers at our school. I've spoken to him a couple of times and he has been nothing but nice to me.

"Maybe..." Marie mumbles while plugging in her curling iron.

"Come on girl, I need some details!" I say while I comb my hair. "I've never even seen you guys talk" I exclaim.

"I don't know... I've always found him attractive, I mean have you looked at him?" she asks and looks at me.

"Yes I have." I roll my eyes. "I guess he's pretty good-looking."

"He's hot as hell, Mae!" Marie exclaims, which causes me to laugh.

"Then go for it girl." I tell her. Trying to brush through m hair, I think about how the night will go. Marc made it obvious that he was looking forward to tonight. It made no sense, since he was my student and we couldn't really spend any time together since I had to chaperone the dance the whole night.

"Did Marc say anything about tonight?" Marie interrupts my thoughts with her question.

"Eh... yah I guess." Say while curling a strand of my hair.

"What did he say?"

"I don't know, nothing important." I try to downplay what he had said to me about 'not getting much sleep' tonight.

The next hour is spend curling hair, putting on make-up and a lot of laughter and gossip.

A few minutes before the dance was supposed to start, we arrived in the school's parking lot in my car.

"You ready to have some fun?" Marie asks.

"Once again, this isn't our dance." I remind her for the millionth time tonight.

"So what?" My friend says while opening the passenger door.

"You're so weird." I say laughing.

As we enter the gym where the dance is held, I am impressed with how our decorations transformed the space. "Wow, it looks so good!" I say.

"I know right? Perfect setting for a great night!"

Marie and I make our way towards a group of teachers who were already watching the students.

The next hour, we talked to our colleagues while more and more students arrived. They were all looking amazing and I felt kind of nostalgic. My own dances at school weren't as pompous as the dances at this school. On top of that, I never really had a good time at my dances. I had met my ex-boyfriend at university and he was my first boyfriend, so I never had a "real" date for a school dance. Yes, my friends were there, but to be honest I would've rather had a cozy night in than going to the dances.