CHAPTER 16.1: The Seeds of Conquest

Start from the beginning

Filled with reverence, the mythic cadences that Uriel had uttered innumerable times since he was ordained ran through his mind: Maht-Hildis, guide your faithful servant so that he may Preserve rather than Destroy. Enlighten me Maht-Hildis, so that I always stand upon your Right and never upon the Left.

Uriel’s silent plea brought no response.

Passion rose in Uriel’s breast, and the Keeper fell to his knees. Desperately, he sought the clarity of mind he needed to puzzle through his dilemma.

Come to me, Maht-Hildis. Aid your most faithful servant. Come to me now!

To the Keeper’s great shock, he received a more emphatic Answer than his wildest yearnings could have imagined. A hot rush of air blasted against Uriel’s back as warm autumn air rushed into the Tree. An incandescent light dazzled his eyes, and then slowly faded. Uriel’s blasted corneas reeled with the yellowed afterimage. Staggering, he jerked his head upright and forced open his eyes when a tearing sound ripped from the trunk. Crouched over and blinking, the priest made out a tall blurry figure standing just in front of The Tree.

“Did you summoning Me mortal?”

“Yes,” Uriel answered timidly. He briefly gathered his courage to speak more clearly.

“Yes, I summoned You.”

The Keeper tried to shield his eyes beneath his hand, but it did little good. The figure’s pure white aura still burned Uriel’s brain.

“Why do you plead for this audience?”

“Almighty Maht-Hildis, I ask that You hear me so that Your People will not Fall into Folly. The Lords of the Dryhtern, and their greedy Prince, intend to bring dwarves into Selinger. They plan to open the Imperial gold mines.”

“I know of this travesty. ’Tis well, loyal servant, that you seek My help.”

“How may I serve thee, Master?”

“Know that I have long watched over you, my faithful servant, and long have I been pleased with you.”

“I am honored,” answered Uriel in his most humble voice.

“It is well. For now, I must ask you to perform a most difficult duty. Mankind stands upon the very brink of doom. Your people will not survive another catastrophe. My Temple must use its strong left hand against those who lead you to destruction.”

“I command you to muster the Temple’s warriors and smite the Lords of Selinger. Only then may the World be preserved.”

“But...but I am only the Keeper of one temple...”

The wind, which had steadily increased as Uriel spoke with the shining figure, now increased to such an over-powering gale that Uriel staggered before it, his ears tearing in the face of its power.

“No longer, my Servant. I have chosen you to be my Avatar. You are called to lead all of My Temples.”

“Now that the Lords of the Land have allowed Corruption to rule their councils, only the Temple can guide the people to Salvation. No longer will My servants wait in the shadows. Now is the time for the Temple to Rule.”

Uriel’s could not believe what he had just heard. Maht-Hildis commanded that he, a mere Keeper, become His Avatar: the embodiment of Maht-Hildis’s will on Earth, whose authority exceeded even the Primate. On the God of War’s behalf, His Temple would throw down the rulers of all humanity.

The air currents and the overpowering incandescence of the Presence built to a crescendo. The fury of light and wind blinded the middle-aged Keeper. An instant later, the gale died.

Uriel opened his eyes and the mundane brightness of full noon lit the glade. Maht-Hildis was gone.

                                                                 *    *    *

The next morning, Uriel sent out a call for an emergency synod of all the Keepers across the old imperial province of Fiandria. Only the Temple of Maht-Hildis still used that name, a relic from history, as part of their organizational structure. The Temple had been founded centuries before the old imperial province broke into numerous Baronies.

What the Temple called Fiandria extended north into fiefdoms over which the Prince held only marginal control. I hope more than social inertia lies behind the antiquated usage. I pray that my brethren cling to the old name due to a hidden desire to rebuild the Empire.

Keeper Uriel planned to play upon this secret yearning at the synod three nights hence. Long ago, as an acolyte, Uriel had struggled to master his personal ambition and disciplined himself to act for the benefit of Humankind.

Now, Maht-Hildis commands me to seize the dreams I surrendered long ago. Please let me prove worthy.