CHAPTER 2.2: The Fair Maiden

Baron Grelig of Dannik brooded in the dark shadows of his work chamber. Even though most of the household had already settled down to sleep, he could not afford to rest. He had too much to do.

The Baron sat in an intricately carved chair at the head of a mahogany table. He slumped in his seat while he idly coiled a braid of his beard around his right ring finger.

Grelig gruffly addressed Steward Lapian, “What do the servants tell you about that bastard Helvig?”

The Steward’s eyebrow raised in austere dismay at his Lord’s coarse language. “The Baron says little, but he examines everything he sees here. Nothing is too slight for his notice. He often stands at his window and looks at the fields. The...”

The Baron’s right hand jerked. He winced in pain as his bulky signet ring caught in the twined strands of his beard. Grelig’s seal of office pulled loose from his hand and fell to the floor with a heavy clank.

An ominous silence fell over the two men. Neither of them knew what to say. Finally, the Baron bent to pick up his ring and firmly replaced it upon his right index finger.

The gray-haired Steward swallowed once and continued, “Baroness Friya tells Alynde to encourage Henrick. The dressing maids say she does not seem to mind.”

The Baron inhaled sharply and asked, “Is it possible that Helvig wishes an alliance?”

A harsh voice interrupted, “No, m’lord. Do not allow yourself to be fooled.”

Grelig looked up at the unexpected answer. The dark visage of Kapur loomed over the table. The border lord’s long hair formed an almost demonic halo around his rough, yet handsome, features. Kapur had been a mercenary, caravan guard, and ore merchant; now he held two rich manors and, though few knew it, ran Grelig’s spy network.

“Perhaps you should learn to mind your manners,” retorted Steward Lapian, irritated that the Spymaster had once again entered the Baron’s private chamber unannounced. Lapian had despised Kapur ever since the brazen merchant had arrived at Grelig’s court bearing adoption papers from Sir Agnon, a wastrel knight perpetually unable to pay his Tourney debts.

Kapur ignored the Steward’s outburst. “M’lord, do not allow comfort to dull your wits.”

“Helvig now sits on the best trade route through the Eisden mountains, after his Master Architect raised the bridge across Whispering Chasm. Soon, Dorrin will be able to buy an army big enough to crush us.”

The Spymaster waited to allow the import of his words to impact upon Grelig. Then he asked, “Why waste an eligible daughter on someone he can destroy?”

“Why is Helvig aiming her at my son?”

“M’lord, he may not be quite ready to move against you. I believe he dangles the hope of an alliance in order to blind you to his movements.”

Grelig rustled in his chair. He asked, “Movements? What movements?”

Kapur briefly bowed his head before he answered, “My man in Helvig reports that Dorrin has taken a new vassal.” The Spymaster’s lace cuff drooped from his thick right wrist as he ominously closed his raised hand into a fist.

“Oh?” interposed a skeptical Sir Lapian. “Who is it?”

Kapur’s gaze remained fixed on the Baron as he said, “Burgol the Younger.”

Sir Lapian expelled a short, disgusted breath at the spymaster’s melodrama. Burgol was a highly skilled siege engineer who drifted from battle to battle, hiring on for single campaigns. Many Barons wished to bind him to their service; but, until now, everyone had balked at his extravagant demands.