When she went to actually perform the piercing, Phil shut his eyes tightly. His tiny little hand was squeezing mine firmly, and then I heard the click. Phil winced a little, but I could tell from his expression that it wasn't as bad as he thought it'd be.

He opened his eyes slowly.

"Not so horrible, is it?"

Phil shook his head. He kept his eyes open when the other side was done.

When we left the shop, Phil couldn't stop grinning.

"I did it!" he exclaimed.

"You did it," I agreed.

"I really did it!" he kept repeating, as if it didn't seem real. I grinned.

Then his face fell. "My mum's going to kill me."

"Don't worry, you can just blame it on me," I offered. I didn't know if I was joking or not.

He smiled a little when I said that.

"My mum thinks that you're a terrible influence already," he laughed to himself.

"Good."

Phil started laughing again. He couldn't stop. God, he was so cute when he laughed. It was contagious.

My phone buzzed, and I pulled it of my pocket to find a text from Chris waiting. I didn't think that he'd really text me back. It made me happy. I liked him.

"So what are we doing today?" Phil questioned, looking up at me.

"What do you want to do?" I countered.

He frowned, and got lost in thought. "I don't know."

"That's okay. Maybe we can just exist again," I suggested.

So we started walking. And it was probably my subconscious leading us, but we started to near the forest.

Phil got very quiet when we approached the trees. He grabbed
my hand. "Y'know, Dan, I'm tired of being scared of the woods."

"Well luckily you're getting plenty of practice spending time outside of your comfort zone."

"I guess that's true, but I want to not be scared faster," he clarified.

"What's the rush?"

"I'm just sick of needing to hold onto your hand all the time. I don't want to be stupid and annoying whenever we're together," he confessed shyly.

His words struck me. I thought about them for a long time.

"Phil, I need you to listen to me very carefully," I instructed clearly.

"Okay," he agreed.

"You don't annoy me. You never annoy me. I consider it a great privilege to be able to hold your hand."

"You don't even mind at all?"

"Not one bit. Phil Lester, I promise that as long as you need it, I will never get tired of holding your hand."