CHAPTER 11.3: The Realm of Queen Sefwyn

Start from the beginning

The fear faded from the elder Shepherd’s face as he noticed his two friends looking to him for direction. His courage bolstered by leadership, he defied Queen Sefwyn. “Perhaps we have met our doom, Your Majesty. But so have you.”

Even with his rebellion revealed, the Shepherd still could not help but address the Queen with her title—or perhaps he held an inherent belief in recognizing those who had raised themselves above others.

Sefwyn seemed more tired and sad than angry. “You may well be right, Shepherd. But, if I am thrown down, what do you accomplish?

The young Queen did not cow the aged Shepherd.

“I stop irresponsible change that would put foul meat raised by humans into our larders. I free my Stemm from a tyrant that holds back the full value of what we provide. I allow all the Stemma to flourish, unleashed from the shackles you place upon us...”

“Shackles?” shouted the frustrated Sefwyn. “You great fool! You Segmentalists have thrown down every Queen but me, and those Warrens have fallen into ruin. Only Nidafall thrives. Do you think our Warren’s success is an accident?”

“Only when all your kind is gone will each Stemm realize their potential!” snarled the Shepherd, the ends of his white beard flying about in his rage. “You are so afraid to depend on my kindred that you consort with humans to replace us. All you bring is destructive change. You would have no dwoerren pick Shepherds as husband so...”

“You dare to accuse ME of destruction? I only repair what Segmentalists destroyed when they created the Waterwall,” retorted Queen Sefwyn.

Why does the Queen waste time with debate when she should be tracking down other conspirators? Is she trying to convince me she truly wishes peace with humankind?

Apparently, Thyre had a similar objection because she interrupted her Queen, “Your Majesty, do you want my Warriors to take the prisoners to the dungeon for questioning?”

Cal recognized a suggestion when he heard one.

Queen Sefwyn nodded. Thyre ordered five of her Warriors to accomplish the task. Leaving the other half of the first squad outside the Shepherd’s cottage to safeguard the Queen, the Höfòngar took a full squad to investigate the surrounding area.

The mixed bleating of goats and sheep wafted through the open windows as Thyre’s Warriors prowled throughout the grounds. Cal took the opportunity to question the Queen, “Your Majesty, is it true that only a few of your people created the Waterwall?”

“Yes, Calidon, it is so,” she confirmed. “But, leave that subject lie for a moment.”

Suppressed outrage tinged her voice. “Do, you see that thing?” she asked rhetorically, pointing at the machine across the room.

Cal’s head turned toward the contraption. After a short delay, he asked, “What is it?”

“They call it a printing press. It destroyed the Ruling Queens.

“How could a machine do such a thing?”

“Three centuries ago, a Vantasian Artisan built a device that could produce a book in a few days, instead of requiring over a year. Artisans began to write books comparing how the various Queens treated their Stemm. Eventually, Artisans from different realms began to make common cause against their rulers. All the other Stemma purchased printing presses from Artisans and began a similar insurrection. One by one, my sister Queens lost control of their realms because they could no longer use superior knowledge to coerce the Stemma to work together. Stemm Warlords arose and contested with their Queens.