Chapter Twelve

The last thing Makoto would have expected was to hear a flat line originating from Haru's room while talking with Rin.

The sound cut through the air like a knife. It was a sharp, terrifying sound, one that he never would've wanted to hear in his life. It was unmistakable and it signified death, an irreversible state. His heart became erratic as he stood frozen in place. He was fine when they left, what had happened.

Makoto's breath became uneven as he began to hyperventilate. He turned his body fast, running in the direction of Haru. He extended his arm, as he was trying to hold onto something. He balled his hands into fists. He would not let go of Haru. The door slammed into the wall as Makoto barreled into the room.

"Haru!" He cried, tears slipping freely down his cheeks. "Haru please don't die!" His eyes flickered around the room. Haru lay limp on his bed, face ghostly pale with a tint of blue. He sprinted towards Haru, big hands fumbling for the air bag. He was suffocating.

A/N: love me please

Makoto grabbed Haru's face, his heart beating into his ribs. Without a second to spare,  Makoto's lips were upon Haru's cold ones, a warm sensation bubbling in his chest. He pulled away after breathing air into his lungs. Up close, Makoto could see features on Haru that he never knew existed. For example, Haru's nose was a little crooked, possibly from when he was first learning how to swim. His eyelashes were long and black, somehow making Haru all the more irresistible. Makoto stared at Haru's lips. They were soft, round, and beautiful. As if genetics had just recently found perfect and decided to use it on Haru.

Just as the longing became unbearable, Makoto's lips met Haru's once more. The softness of Haru's mouth sent currents wracking through Makoto's body. His breath hitched as Haru began kissing back, and he found himself losing his sanity in Haru's peppermint breath. Makoto shivered with satisfaction before sliding his tongue into Haru's mouth. He moaned into Haru's lips as Haru began fighting back. As much as Makoto disliked it, his lungs began burning for air. He reluctantly pulled back and his eyes widened as a string of saliva that clung to his and Haru's lips followed.

"So..." Makoto started awkwardly. A short silence followed.

"I thought you were dating Akihiko." Haru panted, breaking the ice. Makoto sweat dropped.

"Always so blunt, Haru-chan." The honorific went unnoticed by Haru for he was solely focusing on Makoto's voice. "No, he asked me on a date. Well, that's what I accepted anyways." Haru nodded.

"What was the kiss for?"

"Oh..." Makoto trailed off. "Did you not like it?" Haru shook his head hastily.

"No, I loved it. Just, what does it- no... What do I mean to you?" Haru asked.

"What do you mean to me?" Makoto repeated. "Well... I- I love Haru-chan! He's beautiful, and kind, and knows me more than I know myself! He's always there for me, and knows when he needs to step in for me! I li- hell, I love Nanase Haruka!" Makoto cried out. Haru, though ecstatic about Makoto's confession, started crying.

Makoto was baffled. Was he truly that terrible that if he confessed to the one he loved they would cry? But before his thoughts could go anywhere, Haru had flung himself onto Makoto, sobbing into his shirt.

"I love you too." Haru breathed into Makoto's ear once his sobs had calmed down. "Fuck, I'm in love with you Tachibana Makoto." Makoto let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and held onto Haru tighter- steering clear of Haru's shoulder of course. He let the tears he was holding in out, the drops soaking into Haru's hair.

"I'm so glad." Makoto's wavering voice replied. "I'm so glad you love me, Haru-chan." Haru let out a shaky laugh, the corners of his mouth curling into a rare smile.

"Lay off the chan, Makoto."

An inhuman squeal interrupted the two's chick flick moment.

"Oh my god, oh my god, Rei-chan! They kissed and then hugged and then Haru-chan smiled! And-!" The sound stopped as soon as it started. The swimmers turned away from the door and were about to kiss once more until Nagisa screamed, interrupting them again.

"I SHIP IT!"