Chapter Seven

Akihiko frowned when he noticed Makoto wasn't in homeroom. It upset him even more when the next period he still was not there. It had to be Haru. Everything was about Haru. Why couldn't Makoto open his goddamn eyes and fall for Akihiko already? He's done everything he could think of to swoon him, so why hasn't Makoto fallen head over heels for Akihiko? It pissed Akihiko off. All Makoto could ever think about was Haru.

They're on a study date?

'We should invite Haru along, so he won't fail this test.'

They go out to eat?

'I should bring some of this to Haru. He would like it.'

Even when they were cleaning up.

'Haru is such a great cleaner. He reminds me of you.'

Couldn't Makoto take a hint? No matter. Akihiko's deadline was closing in, so he had no other choice.

He needed to eliminate Haru, before it was too late.

---

Nagisa thought it was crazy how obvious Haru and Makoto's love was. Just one quick glance into Haru's eyes, and you'd see nothing but admiration. If you were to look at the smile Makoto cracked every time someone so much as hinted at Haru, you would see nothing more than affection to said dolphin. No matter, because he knew they would get together at some point, and he would be there behind the scenes, fangirling like a twelve year old girl meeting her favorite band.

So for that reason in particular, Nagisa was seated on Rei's bed, papers and pencils strewn across the room. They had spent the past three hours thinking up a plan for Mission MakoHaru. Nagisa being Nagisa, had voted for a different name.

"See, Mako-chan is really perverted, so we should think of a better suited name for what Mako-chan is gonna do with Haru-chan!" Nagisa reasoned, attempting to convince Rei. "So I think we should call the mission," he grabbed a piece of paper, scribbling onto the blank canvas. "This!"

He proudly shoved his paper in Rei's face, a stupid grin etched onto his face. Rei took the paper gingerly and scanned the abomination Nagisa had drawn. On the paper was a terrible sketch of two people doing... It. The two half stick figures, half manga style (if that was even possible) had a slight resemblance to both Haru and Makoto. Over the 'art,' lay messy words. After spending a minute decrypting Nagisa's handwriting, Rei sighed in vexation, exasperated with Nagisa's dirty mind.

"Honestly, Nagisa-kun. No, we will not name this mission 'MakoSeme x HarUke .'" Rei sighed again.

"Rei-chan! But why!" Nagisa whined, rubbing his head onto Rei's arm.

"I will not name it that, because this mission has to be inconspicuous!" Rei exclaimed. "Nagisa-kun, I have no idea how you dragged me into this." Nagisa thought for a second before jumping up off of Rei's bed and pointed an accusing finger at Rei.

"You were the one who suggested this, Rei-chan!"

---

Haru didn't know what to do.

So naturally, he went swimming. He smiled peacefully as his hands sliced through the water as if they were knives, and his legs kicked through the water with ease. His lips parted slightly as he breathed in the crisp night air.

It was a Saturday night, so it was pitch black and the water was cold, but those factors never bothered Haru. No, the water could be a degree away from freezing over, and he would still swim. The water solved anything.

Well, nearly anything.

The water was Haru's go-to. It healed his aching muscles, calmed his shaking nerves. But there was one thing that Haru knew for certain couldn't get washed away by the depths of the water or the strokes in his swim. It was love. Love always confused Haru. Why couldn't humans just live without love? Love was unforgiving. It took what it wanted and left with a heart ache and a desire for a gallon of ice cream. It was unfair. You could not even want to love, yet it would still bite. Why did Haru have to fall in love with Makoto of all people?

It's not that Makoto was a bad guy, it's just because... well, he was a guy. It was out of the ordinary for guys to like guys, wasn't it? So why did Haru like guys? Maybe it was because the world liked to torture Haru. To make him even more different. Maybe the universe just decided; 'let's fuck up Haruka's life.'

So to fuck up his life, the universe made Haru attracted to his best friend. It was weird. It was different. It was wrong. Why couldn't Haru ever be normal?

The answer was simple.

Because fuck Haru.

At some point, Haru must have pulled himself out of the pool and dried off while his mind was wandering, because once he snapped out of it, he had his jacket on and he was halfway up the steps to his household. Haru sighed, looking longingly into the direction of the school. He clutched his stomachs as he was thrown into another coughing fit.

"No matter." Haru muttered bitterly, coughing meekly into his palm. "I'll just go swimming tomorrow."

So Haru slowly ascended the stairs, making his way into his lonely house in the top of the hill. He closed the door behind him with a sigh, a wave of weariness hitting him like a truck. Unable to move any longer, Haru just leaned onto the door, sliding down slowly. What he didn't notice as he was nodding off, was the glint of a blade that was right before him.