Chapter Two

"Ne, Haru-chan." Makoto started, seating himself on the stool next to the bath Haru was soaking in. "What's bothering you?" Haru blinked, genuinely surprised by Makoto's question.

'What's wrong?' Haru asked himself. 'Can't you see, Makoto? Can't you see what you're doing to me?'

"Haru-ch-," Makoto sighed. "Haru," He started again. "Somethings up, I know that much." Haru ducked his head below the water, leaving half of his ears above surface. He wasn't listening, anyways, but he knew that Makoto would get upset if Haru ignored him, he always did. He always hid it, but Haru knew better. He always knew because Makoto was his friend.

That's what Haru would always be. Makoto's best friend. Nothing more nothing less. It pained Haru to know this, but he knew he had to accept it.

"Why do you care." It flew out of Haru's mouth the moment he raised his head above the surface to grab a breath of air. He regretted it the moment a flash of sadness rippled through Makoto's face, but held his word. Makoto sighed before running a hand through his messy hair.

"Haru, from the amount of years I've known you, don't you think it would be normal for me to notice when my best friend was feeling down?" Haru cringed. Friend. Makoto only wanted Haru to be his friend. Haru bit his lip, attempting to hold back the words that were dying to tumble out of his mouth. Haru only grunted in response.

Makoto smiled wearily at Haru before standing up and stretching out. He extended his long arm, intending for Haru to grab it. The two protruding pacific eyes glanced at the arm, before hesitantly accepting the offer.

Haru's hand twitched the moment it came in contact with Makoto's rather large hand. A warm sensation tingling from the tips of his fingers to the palm of his hand. It was a sensation Haru liked, and felt like none other. It didn't even compare to the touch of the pool under his fingers.

Haru stepped out of the tub, one foot out at a time, careful not to slip on his wet feet. He had made that mistake once, and ended up getting a concussion that prevented Haru from swimming for a month. It was hell, and Makoto was there to-

Haru shook his head, playing it off as just shaking the water from his hair.

'Stop thinking about it.' He commanded himself. 'The more you dwell on it, the more depressed you'll grow.'

"Let's go Haru!" Makoto ushered, realizing finally that his 'talk' with Haru, (though it was more of Makoto talking to a wall), had wasted a whole lot of time that they should've used to get to school. "I promised that I'd meet Aki-chan on the way to school!"

Haru sighed at the mention of Makoto's 'Aki-chan,' dissatisfied that Makoto had to bring him up. Makoto, blind to Haru's displeasure, dragged Haru to his room, complaining about making Aki-chan wait. He shoved Haru into his room, closing the door behind him, expecting Haru to come out fully dressed. It was no surprise, though, when Haru came out of his room with nothing but his swim about on.

"Haru!" Makoto cried out, waving his arms around frantically. "At least put on some pants!"

---

Makoto, half carrying, half dragging Haru down the path to Akihiko's house which was, thankfully, right by the school, was late. He hated being late, because that made the person that was waiting for him have to stand around while Makoto was off doing whatever he pleased. It was unfair and selfish to make someone wait as long as he had, and Makoto hated being selfish.

Makoto gasped for breath as he skidded to a stop in front of Akihiko's house, dragging Haru over to the door with him by his collar. He checked his watch as he knocked on the door.

"Five minutes. Aki-chan has been waiting for five minutes." Makoto mumbled, disappointed in himself. If he Haru would've just hurried up-.

No. It would be selfish blaming Haru. After all, it was Makoto's fault for attempting to spring up a conversation on Haru, distracting him. The door opened with a creak, revealing a slightly frazzled, shirtless Akihiko. Makoto's cheeks flushed quickly, but went away just as soon as it appeared.

"Aki-chan?" Makoto questioned.

"Makoto?" Akihiko raised an eyebrow. "And... Haru" Makoto didn't miss the hint of bitterness in Akihiko's voice as he mentioned Haru, but shrugged it off. It was probably nothing.

"Aki-chan, I'm so so so so so sorry! I got sidetracked, and-"

"Makoto-kun, what are you going on about?" Akihiko asked, cutting Makoto off. "School doesn't start for another hour!"

"E-eh?" Makoto stammered, his face stained red from embarrassment. "Th-then my watch..."

"Can you let go." Haru demanded, though, it was more of a statement rather than a question. Makoto's hand sprang open, letting go of Haru's shirt collar.

"No need to be so embarrassed, Makoto-kun!" Akihiko laughed. "It gives us more time to talk to each other!" He opened his arms, gesturing to his front door. "Mi casa es su casa."

"Huh?" Makoto and Haru chorused. Akihiko rolled his eyes at his friend and Haru, finding their reaction humorous.

"Just come on in!" A grin inched it's way onto Akihiko's face. "No need to be shy, Haru-chan! I just want to learn more about you."