9. Being Big Brother

Sasuke had no idea why he was still standing next to crackbrain. Or talking to him.

"My man Sasuke, tell me 'bout your dream girl"
Eye roll number 22. Sideways stare.
"Okay, I'll go first. Had a girl. Got her pregnant. Freaked. Lost the baby. Nothin' I can do now"
Sasuke blinked. Really? That seemed like big info.
"My girlfriend got out of a sour marriage not too far back."
"Aaah, I see your dilemma. What if she don' wanna get married again so soon? Yeah?"
Nod.
"Hmmmm.. let me think.. why don't ya just ask her?"
Serious. Waste. Of. His. Time.
"You still with her?", Sasuke asked instead.
"Nah. Imma bad influence on her, ya know? Can't seem to do the right thing.", he shrugged. But, Sasuke detected regret in his voice.
"Regret it?"
"Definitely"
"Then why don't you fix it?"
"Can't. How'd'ya fix somethin' you broke in the first place? And then called her a slut for tryin'a fix herself?"
Silence. "You messed up"
"Yep. Big time. Your relationship seems to be sunshine and rainbows in comparison, eh? Get the ring man. And wait for her."
"What about you?"
"Aah, look at us. Unlikely friends already."
Blink. Stare. Eyebrow arch.
"Nah man. She sorta pretty much broke after the whole abortion followed by the indecent name-calling thing"
"You don't want to help her?"
"I do. Think the only help I can offer her is to just back out of her life. I'm bad for her."

Sasuke was never one to pry into anyone's business. He had asked enough already. The guy was probably right to disappear from the poor girl's life.

Just then, both their phones rang simultaneously.

Sasuke saw the colour on the man's face drain. He would probably stay and ask but duty calls. He'd have to buy the ring later.

**************

Sasuke was rushing to the emergency room when he saw Ino exiting.
"Dr. Uchiha? What are you doing here? I thought it was your day off?"

"I got a call from Sakura."

"Oh. Well, the patient has been taken care of."

Sasuke frowned. "Then why was I called?"

"I thought Naruto could use his best friend since his wife is at home and eight months pregnant.", came Sakura's voice from behind him. He turned.

"What happened to Naruto?"
"Not him. Its his sister, Karin.", she replied gravely.

***********

Karin? How did she end up here?, Sasuke wondered as he made his way to the breakroom. And there sulking quietly, leaning against a table, stood his best friend.

Sasuke went over and began brewing up some coffee. Naruto held a guilty expression which could easily be recognized by this particular male.

"Heard about Karin", Sasuke spoke with his back to Naruto who remained unresponsive.

"Here", he extended a hand to offer him a cup as well.

Sasuke knew asking if he was okay or assuring him would not work for this guy. He knew him better. Besides, he wondered if he was one of the reasons for her attempted suicide.

"Naruto, I have to ask-"
"No, Sasuke. It is not you. I have been somewhat ignorant towards her. I am to blame for her condition"

After a few minutes of silence, he spoke.
"I am buying an engagement ring for Sakura."

"Great", Naruto responded a little unenthusiastically.

"Yeah. I mean, when I am on the verge of giving up on life, feeling all alone, and like a complete mess, I am glad to have found the one person to save me. To help me through hardships rather than deciding who's to blame for my mess", he glanced sideways at Naruto who seemed to have understood the message.

He got up and turned towards Sasuke who placed a hand on his shoulder and allowed a smirk-like smile form.

Naruto nodded in gratitude and returned it. He made his way out but then remembered something and came back.

"Hey all that 'giving up on your life' crap was just pep talk, right? I mean you never thought of.. you know", he said.

"Dobe" Sasuke sweatdropped. How did that guy become a doctor anyway?
He smiled to himself.

**************

Karin Uzumaki was recovering in her room now that she was out of the ICU after undergoing a series of surgeries, few days apart, performed by Doctors Uchiha, Haruno, and Yamanaka.

Naruto was kept outside the OR for a while and offered leaves but he refused. Working, saving lives would probably do him some good right now, after he almost lost his sister.

He remembers clearly, the day he had the biggest fight of his life with her. The one that seperated them in some ways.

'Karin! How can you do this?!'
"I had no choice!"
'Don't fucking LIE!!'
"I told you the truth so you would understand and help me. Guess I was wrong"

SLAP

'I have had enough of this! How am I supposed to keep this from mom and dad? It is a big deal. Very. You got pregnant by that-that fucker Suigetsu and got aborted, both without even telling me. You destroyed yourself Karin. And pushed me out of your life. I don't even know who you are anymore!'
....
....
....

"You're right brother. Neither do I. I have broken your heart. I know. Forgive me if you can."

"Karin.. shut up. Please leave me alone for a while. I am not telling them. But don't be mistaken. It isn't to protect you. I just don't want to hurt them so much, that's all."

He remembers her face fallen in shame. And how she walked out saying she won't live there anymore given how much she's done already. Guilt. That is what he knew she felt. He wanted to go after her so bad, but he knew he had to allow her to figure things out. To have some positive realizations and maybe finally try to do something good with her life. He had to allow her to grow. He couldn't always protect her and cover for her mistakes.

He secretly observed her many times. She had grown quiter and more mature looking just in a year. He saw her stumble many times but waited for her to pull herself up. Whenever she'd come out of a bar drunk, or when random guys were taking her drunk self home, he'd punch them and carry her to the safety of her home.

Naruto understood that she had acted out of fear back then but he also knew if he helped her each time, she would never learn her lessons. Didn't mean he wasn't going to be there for her as a big brother.

Something must have gone wrong if she suddenly returned to try for Sasuke again. He needed to know.