3. Patient 2364

Clothing was spread around the closet sized dorm room consiting of 2 single beds on either side. His leg was carelessly thrown over hers. A beeping noise and then an alert siren woke them up with a start. Sakura checked her pager and so did Sasuke. Time to go. They hurriedly got dressed and rushed out.

They didn't need the board, they could have guessed the OT the patient was taken to from the trail of blood on the hospital floor. They washed their hands, put on the latex gloves and began to work on the patient.

From the looks of it, he had lost too much blood. Dr. Yamanaka updated them about the condition. "Patient came in bleeding through the doors. Collapsed right away. Seems to be an accident victim. Damage to abdomen and lungs. Severe internal bleeding. Several crushed bones. 3 broken ribs."

Sasuke went ahead to cut him open while Sakura helped control the bleeding. "Scalpel", he demanded. "Another bottle", she said. And they got to work.

************
16 hours post surgery

"How is the patient?", Sakura asked.
"Stable. Should make quick recovery, actually", Sasuke informed.
"Good."

He sat next to her on the bench outside, sipping on apple juice. "You are not eating?", she questioned. "Hate crowd", he responded. She smiled and got up. He casually took her sandwich and began nibbling on it thinking about their night. They had barely caught any proper sleep before being paged. Sakura returned with a tray of food for him.
"You didn't have to"
"Its okay. Eat up"

They didn't discuss the night. They thought about it but didn't speak a word. Probably afraid that naming it would make things complicated. Simple was good, right?

Over the next couple days, Sasuke would check over their three post surgery patients while Sakura picked up extra clinic hours. At night he would simply come in and sleep cuddled up with her in the small bed. They drew comfort in chasing out their loneliness in these nights with each other.

When the residence week ended, she asked him over to her place for help with all the extra paperwork. They sat in the living room making their reports. Sasuke looked around. The house was empty. Not by means of people. It just had an aura of emptiness to it. There were photo frames, no flower vases, nothing to signify that a happy person lived here. It was just empty.

Sakura could tell her husband had not been home in days. No girls in the house. No beer bottles. No mess. No smell of sex in his room, though it was littered with his clothes. And some female clothes lay casually on the corner. She knew he had left on his business tour. Most probably. Could be a vacation but his casual clothes were still in the dryer from his previous vacation. She hated his lone wolf living style. Even if she was only his wife on paper, she still lived in the same house. Her room was always spick and span. Though mostly unoccupied these days thanks to the hospital job.

"This is taking forever", he frustratedly said.
"Do you wanna order a pizza or something?", she asked.
"Do you have a beer?"
"Yep." Her legal husband kept stocks of the thing.
They worked till midnight. Then they moved upstairs to her room.

This Sunday morning sun was something special. They will only have to check up on their patients, do a few clinic hours and then had the rest of the day off.
She stretched her arms sitting up. Turning to her right, where Sasuke slept peacefully, she looked at him. He was so innocently gorgeous in his sleeping state, as opposed to the sinful gorgeousness she always saw.

When he came dressed downstairs, breakfast was ready with a beautiful Sakura humming on the side. He had the urge to bend over and kiss her. And he did just that. She was surprised at first when he locked his arms around her from behind but a smile quickly emerged. Sasuke deduced that he had developed feelings for this lady doctor though he knew nothing about her. But he wanted to. "Do you wanna do something together tonight?"

She felt light with him. Almost as if she was happy. For the first time since her marriage, she wasn't feeling very lonely. "We did something last night", she snorted.

He laughed. Wow, what a laugh he had. She heard it for the first time and decided she liked it very much.

"I meant something else. Like, a dinner. Or evening walk or something", he chuckled.

"Like.. a ..a "
She had never been on a date.

"Yes Sakura, a date."

She blushed. "I-I'd love to"

Sasuke didn't miss the blush. It was cute though. He liked it.

"Now for the other something"

"Absolutely not. We are leaving for work"
He pouted which was really cute.

**********
Sakura was happy. She was actually, truly happy. Spending the evening with Sasuke casually, talking about nothing in particular and commenting on everything in general. Sasuke was surprisingly kind and gentle. She wondered why everyone including herself had found him scary. Sasuke had shown her a great time and they'd been close the past week since their date. Almost a couple, though they hadn't labelled it yet. She had started to feel as if she did more than just like the Uchiha doctor.

Sakura went to Sasuke's cabin after the clinic. She knew he'd be checking up on the patient in room 210 at this time. She spotted his stethoscope on the desk and picked it up and put it in her lab coat pocket before heading out.

"How is the pain today?", Sasuke asked the patient.
"Its okay. My wrist still hurts and I have this pain in my back.", he replied.
"Expected."
Sasuke checked his injuries to see they were healing well.
He reached around his neck to find his tool missing. He sighed.
"Damn. Forgot my-"
The door opened and "Hey Sasuke, you forgot your stetho. Here.", came Sakura from behind offering his medical tool.
"Thanks"
"Course. How's the patient?", she asked reaching for the chart.
"He is making recovery at the pace expected"
"That's good"

She began reading the chart. Patient 2364. Name: Hiroshi Michaels Age: 25 Diagnosis: ..
She removed the chart to see the patient's face since it was not visible during surgery and she hadn't seen him since Sasuke was always the one to check up on him.

"Hello si- Harry?", her smile faded. Her eyes widened. She looked as if someone had hit her head really hard.
"Disapointed to see me alive?", the patient chuckled.
Sakura's face went red. Not blush red, no, anger red. "What the fuck are you doing here?!", she spat.

Sasuke looked at her startled. "You know each other?"

"Why yes, of course. Dr. Uchiha, meet my wife, Dr. Mrs. Sakura Michaels."

**********