Protection

"Let's go ladies. Stop dragging your feet. It's dinner." God I hate that woman's voice, I muttered under my breath.

A giggle came out from under my bunk. "Careful with that mouth, kid. The COs my seem cool. But, het on their bad side, they'll end you." Jjs stood up from her bed and headed towards the door.

"The thing is kid, we can't always protect you. There could be that one split second someone turns around, and when they look back, you're on the ground." I nodded my head and jumped off the bunk.

As we exited our cell, I saw Ember and Tori make their way down the stairs, whispering to each other. They seemed very..  Serious.

As we reached the door that led us of the cell block, the fatass CO took a mental count. "Where the hell is Ryker?!" Oh man... Her voice..

"She's asleep." Was all ember said in a threatening but calm tone. The CO just stared Ember down. "Well go wake her up then, Ember."

"She's sick. She doesn't want to eat." Ember glared at the old hag. "Wake her up Ember. Or both of you can go to confinement." Ember chuckled and walked closer to the woman causing the woman to slightly back up. "I get you're newish here, Boyd, but you need to watch who you're talking to." Ember turned slightly, making quick eye contact with me. Her face softened.

"Imma leave it at that for now." And just like that, the CO backed down.

..........

Dinner was soooooo good. Ham and cheese sandwich with... Wait for it... Grits.. And milk.

"This morning you ate like a fat child that had a tub of ice cream placed in front of them. Now, you're playing with your food." Tori playfully stated.

I dropped the fork and stared at it. "I hate grits. They're gross, bland and taste like memories I don't want to remember." I mumbled.

Ember looked at me and had a sad look in her eyes. "Grits are good if you prep them the right way. Its like... When you make your oatmeal, if you put too much water or milk in it, it's disgusting. Make it just right, it's heaven." Which of course triggered a memory that was stored in the back of my brain.

Flashback

"Baby, you gotta eat your oatmeal." Mama chuckled at me. I pouted, "Daddy put water. Too much."

My mother smiled sweetly at me and took my bowl of... Soup. She shortly after came back and put a different bowl in front of me with oatmeal that actually looked, edible.

"If you put the right amount of water, it taste like heaven. Too much water, it's basically soup." Mama smiled at me and ruffled my hair. She gave me a quick kiss on the head and sat down next to me, drinking her coffee.

"Mama, we go watch sponba?" Mama laughed, "Finish your oatmeal and we can watch Spongebob."

.............

"You cool, Fuller?" Tori whispered into ear, causing goosebumps to slightly form on my neck. "Yeah, ham is gross." I chuckled and took a bite anyway.

"Well looky here. Embers little crew got a new girl. So quickly may I add." I looked behind Ember. Standing directly behind her way a very tall, muscular and tanned woman. "Ya know, your new girl cost me my best girl to be in confinement for a month."

Ember looked at me real quick then to Tori. "Hey, Mandi, why don't you head back to the unit with Jj." I gave her a confused look which she returned with a look of irritability. "Seriously? I'm not a child." I scoffed. Ember looked frustrated.

"God dammit Amanda. Just listen to Tori and leave." Ember pleaded. Taken a back by her outburst, I got up slowly. But strong arms shoved me nack in my seat.

The evil woman chuckled. "No. She stays. This concerns her more than any of you." Ember stared at the woman who still had a firm grip on my shoulders. "Lacy, you better tell your bitch to get her hands off of her before..."

Her words were cut off with a punch to the gut... Then all I remember, was one second, the table was cool collected, the next, the entire food court was a riot.

Tori was on top of the woman who had a strong grip on me, beating her face into the ground. Jj had some chubby short old lady in a head lock. Ember was in a fist fight with the Lacy woman. Their entire gangs were at each others throats, literally.

I stood, not knowing what to do. Then I felt a sharp pain at the back of my head, causing me to fall over. I automatically covered my face with my arms and immediately felt someone pounding my chest, each blow felt like my life was being drained from me.

Then everything just stopped.

The blows.

The yelling. Screaming.

I uncovered my face and all I saw was Ember standing over me with blood all over her hands and shirt. Tori was a couple of feet away just staring at Ember. I looked around me and saw just in front of me, laid a woman in a pool of blood, face down on the ground. Their were women laying flat on their stomachs while guards stood over them.

Ember locked eyes with me. Then looked around the room, a fire in her eyes. "IF ANYONE, I MEAN ANYONE, LAYS A HAND ON MY DAUGHTER! THEY WILL END UP JUST LIKE THIS BITCH!" She didn't even care. She just outed me as her daughter. In front of the entire prison. Guards and all.

The room was filled with gasps and wide eyes.

Then it dawned on me.

She just admitted she was my mother. She just...

I stood up quickly, not caring my chest felt as if it could cave in at any moment. All my memories of 3 year old me and my mother came flooding to my brain. I smacked her. I smacked the woman who was drenched in another's blood. The woman who abandoned me years ago.

Tears rolled down my face, and I saw a tear roll down hers.

"Amanda, I'm sorry. But, there's so much you need to know. I've always loved you." Then a guard came up behind her and quickly cuffed her and dragged her away. All the while,  her glossy, blue eyes never left mine.

"Fuller, we gotta get you back to your cell." Tori gently stated. She gently grabbed my arm and led me back to the cell block.

And all I did was take some fucking money...