Chapter 8: In Which Natasha Creates A Lullaby

Natasha's P.O.V.

Two weeks after Tony shot Percy, the Avengers and a hidden son of Poseidon were standing in the middle of the Amazon Rainforest. Intel had informed them that there was some rogue soldiers and scientists developing some alien tech that had been stolen from the Battle of New York. Only one of the Avengers was aware that Percy was there, and that was her. He'd decided to watch over all of Natasha's missions. He had told her he had nothing else to do, anyways. Natasha was skeptical of that, as he was technically guarding Avengers Tower, but she supposed that he probably had some way of monitoring it.

The plan of attack on this mission was simple. Natasha would infiltrate the base, while Steve and Thor charged head on. Tony would get Clint to a good vantage point, and draw all reinforcements towards Steve and Thor. Clint would cover the other members of the team. That left Bruce to be their reinforcements if necessary.

At first, everything was going well. Natasha got into the base unnoticed. She could hear the sounds of gunfire through her comm as she moved through the halls. She took out several guards on the way. As she turned the corner into a hall, she noticed a scientist heading hurriedly in a certain direction. She moved to follow, and the entire hall lit up. She dove back behind the corner too late. Her vision went white, and searing pain went through her right leg. Guns had come out of the hallway walls, and caught her leg as she dove behind the corner. She had taken three bullets to her leg. Something was weird with these bullets, though. They started to cool, rapidly, until they were freezing cold, and extremely painful. They did mostly stop the bleeding, though. She put her hand up to her comm.

"I've been hit. Requesting backup." she said, hissing in pain. Just as she finished her sentence, a blue force field of energy popped up out of nowhere. She touched it, and pulled her hand back quickly. It had burned her hand. It started moving, giving Natasha no choice but to move with it.

"Guys?" she asked.

"There are way too many out here, Widow. We can't get any closer." She cursed under her breath, dragging herself along with the force field. Eventually, she stopped in the middle of a gigantic room. Several scientists surrounded the field, excitedly taking notes. A squad of guards stood nearby, watching her. She stared back at them. She took deep breaths, and assessed her wounds. She was bleeding pretty slowly, but she'd probably pass out in an hour, tops.

"Silly girl. You needed a biometric chip to not activate our security system. I'm surprised you only got three bullets to the leg!" one of the scientists said, sounding ridiculously cheerful. She sent Percy a mental note.

"Can I expect any help from you?" she asked.

"You won't need it, if my hunch is correct." came the vague reply.

She sat there for a while, until she heard a strange noise. She turned to see a hole being cut into the wall with a laser. Bruce Banner kicked the cement loose and walked through the hole, holding a small machine she suspected he had invented and built himself. Several guards shot at him, but he just took cover behind whatever he could find. A couple of guards tried to engage him in hand to hand combat. A punch flew at his face, and he grabbed it, using its momentum to pull it forward and swing the guard around, causing him to stumble into another guard. Natasha stared. "Was that Aikido?" she thought to herself. Another guard kicked at Bruce, and he simply pushed the kick further upwards until the guard fell over. A third tried to tackle the doctor, but he just stepped to the side, and shoved the guard downwards, smashing him into the floor. He took out all of the guards in a similar method.

Then, one of the scientists shot him with an alien weapon, and quickly put a force field around him. Natasha watched with bated breath. The doctor swelled, turned green, and swung around to face her. He didn't roar, or make any sound. He just looked at her curiously. He ran through his barrier like it was made of tissue paper, and entered her little energy circle. He scooped her up, charged at the edge of her barrier, and turned at the last second, wrapping himself around her, and protecting her from the blue energy. He put her down near a computer and quickly decimated the scientists. Natasha took the opportunity to complete her mission. Once she was done, she turned to find the Hulk gazing at her again. He picked her up, put her on his shoulders, and sprinted through the base, going straight through walls. He charged into the ongoing battle against the soldiers, and then, he roared. Everybody turned, surprised. The Hulk smashed the nearest enemy. And Natasha held on as tightly as possible, feeling as if she was riding a bucking bronco. She took out her guns and picked off soldiers from her vantage point.