Chapter 2: In Which Percy Trashes Buses

May 2005

Percy's P.O.V.

11 year old Percy was bored. That was a fact. He sighed as he trailed after his class. He scanned the area like Natasha had taught him to, watching for threats. He continued plodding along, ignoring everything the tour guide said. He didn't want to be on the Saratoga Battlefield, but he had to be. His ADHD was making it hard to focus and Natasha was on a mission, which made it worse. He was worrying over her instead of paying attention. His eyes caught a flash of red hair, and his eyes widened.

"Bozhe moi." He muttered, his eyes widening in panic. He had become fluent in Russian after around 8 months, and was learning French. He couldn't read the languages, due to his dyslexia, but he could speak and understand them fluently. The reason for his panic was currently running for her life through the trees at the edge of the battlefield as several huge men chased after her. She was dressed in civilian clothes. He couldn't really tell, as she was rather far, but Natasha seemed to be injured. Her gait was unsteady, and he watched as she stumbled and fell. The men started to gain on her as she struggled to her feet. She passed by his school bus and he couldn't take it. He ran over to a cannon, and struck the flint and steel together, causing it to spark. There was a loud boom as a cannonball hurtled towards the bus, blowing it up. Percy watched Natasha duck into the tree line and start climbing a tall tree while the men turned to look at the explosion. Natasha looked in his direction. So did everyone on the field. He cringed slightly and hunched his shoulders. His teacher marched up to him and started yelling at him. But he ignored it, watching as the men went back the way they came, and Natasha climbed down from her tree, hurrying off to who knows where. Percy realized that he would probably be expelled again. "Smelly Gabe is going to be so mad. At least Natasha's safe." he thought.

Natasha's P.O.V.

The mission was going terribly. Her incompetent team that she had been testing tripped the alarms, missed most of their shots, and then left her behind as they hopped in a truck and drove off. Those idiots were not ready for field work. Then, she had sprained her leg jumping off a building while dodging several bullets. Coulson had stopped her from bringing her weapons so that the team could take shots instead. Natasha promised herself that she would make them suffer later.
She tripped as her injured leg gave out. She cursed and scrambled to her feet. She ran past a school bus, which she noticed had the name of Percy's school on it. She had only gotten about 300 feet past it when it exploded.

She looked behind her and saw that the men chasing her were looking at the explosion, which covered her location in smoke. She took the opportunity to climb a tree and conceal herself in the branches. Natasha turned her gaze towards the battlefield, where she could see Percy standing next to a still smoking cannon looking back at her. She sighed. "Did he really blow up his school bus to help me?" she thought. She watched the men look for her once the smoke had cleared. Giving up, they went back to base. Natasha descended from the tree and started heading back to SHIELD headquarters, hailing a taxi on the way. She stalked through the door of the debriefing room to see Agent Coulson and the team of idiots sitting around a table. The team's handler was there as well. Clint was also in the room, to her surprise.

"Agent Romanoff! Perhaps I should have allowed you to bring your weapons." Coulson said. Natasha glared at the team, who shrunk down in their seats.
"I wouldn't have needed them if I had actually been in the getaway truck before it departed. Instead, a friend blew up a school bus to create a distraction." she replied flatly. The team looked terrified, Coulson had raised an eyebrow, the handler looked concerned and Clint looked highly amused.
"A school bus?" Coulson repeated.
"No one was hurt, so don't worry about that." Natasha said. They finished the debriefing, and Natasha spent that time glaring at the team. Once they were finished, Clint came up to her.
"You have a friend that blows up school buses for you?" he asked.
"Yes. With a cannon. On the Saratoga battlefield. We'll need to replace the bus, by the way." she responded. She and Clint made small talk for a bit before she left, saying she had some things to do. She drove to Percy's house, from where she picked Percy up and drove over to her house.