Adrianne: Chapter Seventeen : The ballroom

• Dedicated to to the fans who waited so long, and to myself who have slept for a long time

"You have got to be freaking kidding me!"

 Adrianne hissed vehemently as she stared behind the banisters, looking through the spacious dance floor filled with magical creatures.  The castle was spectacular. dresses made out of shimmering fabrics and actual elements, from the nymphs wearing gowns made up of flowers woven in intricate patterns, to the water dryads covering their bodies with spring water flowing like miniature fountains.

 The air is filled with music where people where dancing on and above the dance floor. The fire fairies dancing provocatively over the air amidst the ooohs and ahhs of the people. Even the Katagarian warriors had donned their best furs as their muscular bodies glisten in the glimmering lights.

“once again you show all the social graces of a scampering water baboon hyped up in liquorice.” Aaron said dryly.

Adrianne looked at him reproachfully her violet eyes sparkling.

"And I thought the Irridesci were bad. This is a thousand times WORST!" Adrianne muttered to Aaron who was gazing lazily at the crowd. 

"What are you so pissed out about?" haven't you seen an Autumn Festival before? Aaron said in a bored voice.

Adrianne wanted to push him over the banisters, her fist shaking with control. 

"I have, but it's nothing compared to this! She jerked her head towards the passing fire demons trailing multicoloured fires in the air." 

"This is ridiculous!" 

"Will you relax Adrianne; this is supposed to be a celebration,” what’s got you so worked up anyway?"  He asked. A hint of curiosity in his voice. 

Adrianne paused. Looking at Aaron who was gazing back at her with his moss-green eyes.

Now that she thought about it, she didn't understand it either, her whole body was wound up so tight she feels as though she was about to break.

Something was not right, and the fact that she could not figure out what, is what's driving her insane.

"Nothing," She replied breaking his gaze and looking through the crowd.

Aaron let out a dark chuckle, "whenever you say there's nothing. There is usually something"

"Well whatever it is, I hope it gets over here soon, this corset is killing me!"  Adrianne muttered yanking at the delicate fabric wrapped around her body.

"I'll be happy to take it off for you if you like?" said a familiar voice behind them.  

She turned around quickly, managing a small smile of relief before turning her face into an irritated mask.  Eliot was dressed in sleek furs, which emphasize his muscular body, his dark hair was swept back and his face was clearly shaved. He wore his best suit of armour. Katagarian steel; thin as paper, as black as coal yet as tough as a dragon's skin.  

He was already attracting attention from the various guests. Specially the women. 

Specifically the women.

"I see you're fully recovered?" Adrianne asked him pointedly. As though his presence was offensive, although she can’t help but feel relieved.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you Adrianne; I can’t pretend to lie down in bed to give you a chance to make up all sorts of excuses as why you can’t be part of the “Elysium”  ‘because your escort is healing’.”He said those words with such a grave voice that Adrianne wondered if she could injure him on purpose.

“Careful Eliot, I think she’s actually considering to maim you deliberately.  Aaron said swirling his goblet and smiling in amusement.  “If I were you I’d go back to bed and pretend to be recuperating, you can take some of those women with you”.  Aaron titled his head into the directions of a few forest nymphs, dressed provocatively in small clumps of evergreen shrubs draped only on their most private parts looking seductively at them with their wood smoked eyes.

“I think you’re right, Aaron, but I made a promise to Helenaise that I would ‘personally’ escort Adrianne to the ball.” His eyes flickered with amusement at Adrianne’s facial expression; A mixture of defiance and obligation with just a hint of condescension.

“Besides I can’t pretend to be sick just to get the ladies attention, he said looking at the nymphs and winking at them.  it’s not my style.” He said smoothly grabbing another glass of wine.

“yeah, that’s always been Talon’s specialty.” Aaron said lazily eyeing the nymphs thoughtfully.

"where is Talon anyway?'  she asked him looking around the cavernous ballroom.

"Talon, is busy trying to apologize to Helenaise"

 Eliot said noncommittally. plucking a wine glass from a passing server and sipping thoughtfully.

"How did he even manage to talk to her?"  Aaron asked.  his curiosity roused. "as I recall there were orders for him not to come within a thousand steps from her circulating among the guards."

"well he managed to push his way through her doors and barged in at her while she was dressing... wither that or he flew in from her window"  the tone of amusement was clear in his voice. 

Adrianne looked at him incredulously while Aaron let out a bark of laughter.

"he should have known better than to barge in on her while she is getting dressed." Adrianne said grimly. “Specially with her room filled with a lewd amount of weaponry.”

"well Talon is not usually known for his tact isn't He?" A highly amused voice called out behind them. they all looked around to see, Langdon, Helenaise's older brother striding towards them, his wife Aloria was supported by his arm.  

"ah, the prodigal son has returned. tell us cousin how does it feel to walk among land again?" Aaron asked half-grinning as he clasped Langdon's back.  

"Not bad, although sometimes it feels entirely wrong." 

Eliot chuckled. "that's because you spent most of your time floating on air."

"..or sitting down." I heard your throne is the most magnificent one throughout the eastern kingdoms. Aaron said grinning broadly.

"tell us Aloria, how does it feel like to finally tame the 'great dragon'?" 

Aloria laughed an airy tinkling laugh that made the air tingle. The back of her hand covering her mouth, her radiant skin shimmering. 

"It’s not so bad, although I still can't make him do tricks." looking at her husband playfully with her honey-colored eyes.

"Well I doubt, he did not show you his other tricks, if you know what I mean." Eliot winked at her. Making them all laugh.

"Alright, Alright, stop all the dirty shit, Langdon said, smiling at his friends. Not while we have delicate company anyway" Langdon whispered conspiratorially.

“Oh please, the only delicate company in here is... well... you.” Eliot smiled wickedly.

The smoke that came from Langdon’s nose made them all laugh except for her wife, who patted his arm soothingly although her eyes shine wit amusement.

“Careful, love you don’t want to singe your shirt, it’s such a beautiful work of spider silk.” Aloria said consolingly.

“I’m more worried about Langdon burning Eliot alive, he doesn’t deserve it But since I am looking for a reason to -escape the “Elysium” I’m hoping Langdon could just roast him to a crisp.” Adrianne said in a matter-of-fact voice, grinning at Eliot wickedly.

Eliot shook his head, roasted or not, I’ll still escort you, and don’t forget Adrianne I heal very quickly so the only thing that’ll burn off are my clothes. “Or is that what you want all along?” he smirked as he saw Adrianne smile icily at his comment.

From amidst the raucous laughter, babble of conversation and the deafening music,  a woman dressed in a long black gown intricately woven with minute black pearls gazed at their direction,  her coal black eyes penetrating through the crowds.  she can hear their conversation perfectly as though she was standing beside them. She held her glass against her crimson lips thoughtfully. Her delicate ears prickled as laughter issued from their cosy little spot. She smiled softly, making all the men in the area weak with desire. “let them laugh, let them have their fun” she thought to herself.  

With the surprise she had in store for them, she felt like laughing herself.