Chapter 26

My mind was still reeling from what just happened and it took me a few moments to understand what he was saying. I just stared at him. I didn't know what to say or even think. As much as I hate to admit that I liked being kissed by him, I really did. But I had no idea what to make of it.

He waited for me to react. To say something. But I didn't know how to react. How was I supposed to? It wasn't every day that you're kissed by Asher McArdle.

At some point I realized we were still standing too close and his arms were still around me. I pushed him back.

I was speechless. I had lost my ability to speak. So, the best way out seemed to leave. I collected myself and turned to leave, but before I could even take two steps Asher grabbed my wrist and stopped me.

"Don't go," he said.

I looked back and straight into his eyes. What I saw their made my heart squeeze. It was the same look I'd seen in his eyes several times since he came back.

"Why?" I asked.

He furrowed his eyebrows, not expecting me to say this.

"Why did you kiss me?" I asked, now completely facing him.

"I... I don't know," he answered, shrugging.

Great! Just great.

I clenched my fists, angry that he was just playing with my feelings by kissing me when he wasn't sure of his.

"You don't go around kissing people Asher," I snapped.

He scowled at me.

"I kissed you!"

I was taken aback by his sudden anger but that didn't hold me back from shouting.

"Then you don't go around kissing me!"

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, his jaw clenching. I didn't even know what he was angry about. The one who should be mad was me. And boy was I mad.

"Why did you kiss me back?" he asked calmly.

That shut me up.

Honestly, I didn't know the answer to that. Sure I thought that maybe I was beginning to like Asher. But I didn't think something would come out of it. I thought it was just a temporary thing that would pass. And I never really thought about doing anything of those feelings because I knew it would only end up disastrously.

"Admit it Anderson you wanted to kiss me," he said coming closer. "I just made it easier by kissing you first."

I backed up against the wall, trying to maintain the distance between us. Because I didn't seem to think clearly with him being close to me.

"I didn't want to kiss you," I said uncomprehendingly. The only thing going on in my mind was that he knew I wanted to kiss him. How did he know?

"What?"

"I said, I didn't want to kiss you," I said again, standing taller.

"Yeah right," he said sarcastically. "Actions speak better than words Anderson and yours spoke something entirely different."

Blood rushed to my cheeks.

"I'm surprised you're even able to stop with the way you were kissing me," he continued.

I stared at him in horror.

For God's sake, he kissed me!

"Your hands all over me," he mocked.