Chapter 42

Jason's pov

Luke came over bringing his sons and Tyler and a few other friends so we made an actual baseball team. I texted Rachel to see if she wanted me to fly her home to join us but I never got a response. Me and Luke were taking a break. I'm out of breath from running the bases. "Dude, I am out of shape." I forcefully say. He laughs. "You haven't been the same since you settled down all those years ago." I raise an eyebrow. "What do you mean by that Luke?" "When's the last time you went mud riding?" Um... It has been a while. "A while but-" "How about gotten stone cold drunk just for fun! Or did a stupid dare! Or threw a rager!" Jeez. "Well... A while but... That has nothing to do with settling down, man!" "Whatever you say." He says, shaking his head and drinking a beer. I glare at my supposed best friend in annoyance. "I don't know what you're talking about but I'm glad to have settled down. I love my wife and daughters and son." "Whoa jeez Jason, I wasn't trying to piss you off." I stomp off the porch. "Well ya did. Now grab your keys." He looks confused. "Why?" I smile. "Cause I'll show you I'm still wild. I'm still cool!" He laughs and finished off his beer. "Hey me and Luke are goin' muddin'. See y'all later." We get in Luke's bronco and go mudding for a few hours. "See! I'm still the guy I was all those years ago!" I say, trying to catch my breath. He laughs. "You proved me wrong, Jason." I smile gladly. "Yeah that's right. I-" I'm cut off, hearing the song me and Brian worked on. I glance over Luke's shoulder and see that little jerk singing the song to another girl. That makes me blood boil. "Jason? What's wrong?" "That fuckin' prick!" I growl, furious. I sit back down and turn the ignition. Luke glances behind himself. "What's going on?" "That little bastard said he was writing a song for Sierra and asked for my help with it! Then he dumps my daughter and sings the song to some other chick! What the fuck man?! "What are you doing?!" He gasps wide eyed. I hit the gas and turn the wheel toward them. "Jason!!"

Luke's pov

Oh shit! He screams in rage, the car headed straight for the teenagers! "Jason!! Jason! Stop!!" I screech, shakily. "No way!" He yells, slamming harder on the gas. I yank the wheel. His eyes go wide. "You double crossin'-" But his sentence is cut short when we smash into a tree and I'm thrown from the vehicle.

Jason's pov

I smash my head on the dash and my hand gets caught in the steering wheel, a sickening crack tells me it's broken. "Luke?" I shakily call, wafting away the smoke that's making me cough. I struggle to open the door and realize the bronco is lodged upside down in the tree. I take off my seatbelt and fall to the ground, worsening my head and hand injuries. My back also hurting. But where's my best friend?! "Luke?!" I cry, trying to stand up and not being able to. "Mr. Aldean what the heck are you doing here?" I turn my head to that lousy no good shithead kid that hurt my daughter. "You bastard!! I'll kill you!" I yell throwing a punch at him that only causes more pain to my back. "Crap!" I shout, struggling to sit up. Glass from the windshield rains down on me. "Luke! Where are ya buddy?!" I cry worried. But I can't do much. "Shit! Someone call an ambulance!" "No way! You said you were gonna kill me!" I glare at the little shit. "Listen here you prick! Only a douchebag would stoop so low as to do what you did!!" I growl, glaring ragefully at him. "I was aiming the bronco for you! But Luke turned the wheel! You stupid ass motherfucker!" His eyes go wide. "That's right! You'd be dead if it wasn't for my best friend! Where the fuck is Luke?!" "I'll find him." He says, shocking me. "What?" "He's the only reason I'm alive." That's true. He tosses me his phone. "Call an ambulance yourself, you attempted murderer." He mutters before running off to locate my friend. I lay back down, pain hitting me in waves. I strugglingly put the phone to my ear. "Operator... Get me an ambulance."