Chapter 13

Jason's pov

It's starting to get dark. I turn on my flashlight while looking for Rachel and Sierra. "Rachel!! Sierra!! Where are you?!" I shout, cupping my hands around my mouth. Ooh man it's freezing out here. I shiver and zip my jacket up. My phone buzzes. I pull it out. "Any luck?" I read aloud. A text from Tully. Everyone but Rich is looking. We still need someone home in case they come back. I text Tully back with a "No." God, I have to find them! "Girls, it's me, Jason! Where are you?" The only sound is the howling wind. I see a shine on the ground. I run over and shakily pick it up. "Sierra's glasses." I whisper, shaking. I turn around, hearing a shuffling behind me. "S-Sierra.... Is that you, hun?" Silence. I point the beam in front of me. Nothing.

Miranda's pov

I cry against the front door. I couldn't find my sisters. I pound the door enraged. "Dammit!!" A hand is on my shoulder seconds later. I spin around, caught off guard. Jason. "D-Did you find them?" He hugs me. "No but I'll keep looking. I promise I won't give up. We will find them." I cry against his shoulder. "Come on. Let's go inside. You're freezing." He puts his jacket on me and we go inside. Minutes later, everyone else gets home. "No luck?" My boyfriend asks. They all mumble no's and stuff. I bust into tears again. Jason rubs my back. "We will find them." He says again.

*the next day*

I wake up, hearing talking. "I don't want her to know yet. It'll just freak her out and we don't know if it's good or bad." Jason's voice. I walk to the door and peer out. I walk to the balcony and see everyone gathered in the living room. "What'd you find?" Eric asks. He sighs and with trembling hands, takes Sierra's glasses out. Everybody gasps. "I don't know if it means we're closer to finding them or........ They're dead.... But don't tell her." "Too late." I say, shakily. He spins around. "Oh man." I shakily walk downstairs. "Where are we searching today?"

*a few months later*

Jason's pov

Every weekend she's flown back up to Virginia to try and find the girls. And every weekend it ends in failure. She started carrying Sierra's glasses around with her too. I just don't think it's healthy for all this. Man, how much hell is one girl gonna go through before she catches a break. "I'll be back Monday morning." She says. I nod and watch her get ready to leave. "Honey," She stops to look at me. I was about to convince her to stay but I know that'll only end in us fighting. "How about I come with you? I could help look." I say instead. "That would mean the world to me, Jason. Thanks for not giving up on them." She gasps, hugging me. "Right. I never give up." I say sighing. We get back to Virginia. I think this is a waste of time but I'd never say that out loud. After three days of intense searching and coming up empty handed, I finally speak my mind. "Sweetheart maybe it's time we plan for..... A funeral." She turns around quickly. "What?" "It's been months. Chances are they..... Aren't.... Still alive." "You don't know that!! They could be out there!! Screaming for us to help them! Jason, please don't say you're quitting! I need you! Don't give up on me, on them!" She falls to her knees crying and I hit my knees beside her. She's right. Until I find bodies, those girls are still alive. "You're right, baby I guess I was just so upset I was talkin' crazy. Come on. We've got two little girls to find." "Oh thank you!" She cries, flinging her arms around my neck. "Of course honey. I love you." "I love you too."

Sierra's pov

Pete throws down a couple lunchboxes. "Are we ever gonna get home?" I whimper, struggling to see without my glasses. Rachel helps me with it. "I miss Jason and Miranda." She mumbles. I nod in agreement. "Pete went crazy. What if he goes after them?" My eyes go wide, horrified.

Miranda's pov

A knock at the door pulls me from Jason's warm embrace. Who could be here? "Does anyone know we're even up here?" He asks, worried. I look back at him scared. "Don't answer the door hun." "It's me." My uncle Pete says! I open the door confused. "Pete, how'd you know we were up here?" "You're the kinda girl never to give up so I'd bet all my money you were up here." I sigh and nod.

Jason's pov

That's weird. He's got this weird twitching thing going on. What is going on here? "Have you found anything?" She asks. He shakes his head. "I-I just got here." Why do I have a feeling he's lying? He hugs her and my hand drifts dangerously close to the pistol at my side. I think he might've had something to do with Sierra and Rachel's disappearances.