Chapter 34

Miranda's pov

I go to the cemetery and sit down, staring at their graves. "Oh mama daddy, what should I do? I'm so lost and confused. Should I talk to them or not?! God if you were here, you'd be able to help." I gasp, crying into my knees. I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around slowly. Jason smiles sympathetically with some flowers in his hand. He sets them down on my parents' graves then sits beside me. "I don't know what to do, Jason." He stares at my dad's grave. "I-I don't know what you can do. I can't tell you this hun. You have to figure it out on your own but I will say I'm here every step of the way and I support whatever decision you decide to make." He hugs me and I cry. "Oh Jason there's no way I'd have been able to get through everything without you." "I'll always be here."

*later*

Jason was fixing lunch for us when Sierra walks downstairs. "Brian says he wants me to meet him at the lake. Can I go?" Jason smiles. "Have fun sweet girl." He says. Sierra runs over and hugs him. "Bye dad love you." Then she dashes out excitedly. I stare at my husband shocked. "Whoa.... I thought... I thought you didn't like her dating!" He laughs softly and sets down a sandwich for the bottomless pit we call a son. "I've had some talks with the boy. I think we're gonna be alright." Wow I'm shocked. "Baby have you thought about what you're doing?" I stare at the table top still undecided. Rachel runs over and hugs us both. "I got into Georgia state!" She yells, jumping up and down. "Whoa! Georgia state! Sweety that's great!" He gasps.

Jason's pov

Wow. My little girl is going to college. "Ugh stop growing up you guys!" I gasp hugging my little girl who just ain't so little anymore. "I'm gonna go pack." She says then squeals in excitement before racing upstairs. "Jason, I have made a decision." I smile and sit down, resting a hand over hers. "What's your decision darlin'?" "I'm gonna meet my parents." Wow. I smile. "When do we leave?" "I love you." She says hugging me. "I love you too baby girl."

*a few weeks later*

"There are dinners in the freezer. We shouldn't be gone long." I tell Sierra, patting Anthony's head. "Hey dad thanks for helping Brian with the song." My eyes go wide. "How did you-" She kisses my cheek and goes back inside. I get in the truck and we're headed to Oklahoma where her parents live. She clutches the letter tightly. Man this must be hard for her. Rachel out of the house at college. And now this parent issue. I hold her hand. "Everything will work out. I promise." She untenses her hands. "Yeah I-I don't know why I'm freaked." I smile and turn on some music. Best of me by Brantley plays through the speakers. "I couldn't wait to see your smile but all I saw was tears in your pretty eyes and that said it all it was all downhill from there. And I remember you sayin' baby please don't give up on me, aw but this stubborn man is gonna lie in the bed he made!" "Didn't you cover this song?" She asks, turning it down. I nod slowly, listening to the chilling eery song. "With my back against the wall or on my knees when the worst of your memory gets the best of me!" I grit my teeth and change the station. "What's wrong?" "That song just gets to me hun." She smiles and pulls a George Strait album out of it's case. "How about this?" I smile and nod. "She let herself go to single's cruise to Vegas once then to Honolulu let herself go to New York city, a week at the spa came back knocked out pretty, he said he didn't love her no more, she let herself go!" "I love this song." Miranda says, tapping to the rythym on the dash. I smile watching her, my fingers tapping along on the steering wheel. I turn it up and sing along when foolhearted memory comes on. This song is one of the greatest. "Hey Jason, thanks for always being there for me." I smile. "I love you sweetheart." "I love you too."

*later*

Miranda's pov

We pulled up to the residence. A woman who I'm guessing is my mother was gardening. Jason knocks lightly on the fence. The woman doesn't stir. "Uh... Hello? Ma'am?" She still doesn't stir. "Is she ignoring us?!" He gripes angrily. The door opens and I'm guess it's my dad. "Who are you?! You better not be making fun of my wife!!" He shouts. "Huh? No sir, um are you Eric Stone?" I shakily ask. He adjusts his glasses and nods. "Hi, I'm Miranda. I'm your daughter." His eyes go wide and he taps the woman's shoulder. "Come in!" He gasps quickly. Jason and I both go in the living room. "Um your mom is deaf by the way. Firecracker incident 8 years ago." "Oh no wonder." Jason says. He signs something to her and the woman's eyes fill with tears. I shakily walk over and she hugs me. "What made you want to find us?" "Well my parents..... Well adoptive parents passed away and I've been raising my younger sisters with my husband Jason. We were going through stuff and I found the letter addressed to me." I hand it to them. I memorized it exactly.

Dear Miranda,
I'm sorry that things went this way. We made sure you were adopted into a family who would love you. I hope when you're old enough, you'll come find us.
Love mom and dad.

Under the letter was their names and address. Jason hugs me. "You must be Jason." My dad says. He nods and tips his hat. "Pleased to meet ya sir." He says shaking his hand. He signs some more stuff to mom. I gotta learn sign language too.

*later*

We get back home. "Wow. Well certainly an unexpected experience." Jason says, hanging up his hat. I nod slowly then Anthony runs over. "Mom! Dad! Can we talk about something important?" The three year old gasps. "Sure son, what is it?" He asks, picking him up. I smile. "There's this girl in my daycare. She's three like me and we're best friends. Her name is Sam. But she's deaf, can you help me learn sign language to talk to her easier? And to show her I care?" Me and Jason lock eyes shocked. I smile and nod. "Of course buddy I can't wait." "Yay!" He gasps hugging us both. He jumps down and runs to his room. Jason rests his hands on his hips. "That boy is gonna grow up to be a great man one day." I smile and nod in agreement.