Chapter Three- Making Promises

Start from the beginning

"Please don't cry. Don't cry."

"I won't but can you let me do something?"

"Sure, of course," I stated, brushing a piece of hair from my face behind my ear.

"I'm coming with you," he announced.

"You're coming with me where?" I questioned him with confusion in my voice.

"Just shopping, we've got a lot to catch up on and we're both here now so why don't I stay?" He suggested rising to his feet.

"Okay, I can tell Peyton that you'll bring me home. That sound good to you?"

"Sure, as long as she doesn't mind."

"I already bought her, her frappe. I think she'll be okay," I giggled and jumped to my feet.

"Ah man, it sounds like you bought her that frappe for nothing," he sighed opening the door and gesturing for me to enter.

"Yup it looks like I actually wasted like a whole $4 on her."

"That place is so over priced. Why does she need to waste money on that stuff?"

"That's what I said! But she literally says every time-" he cut me off before I could finish.

"Coffee's coffee," he finished giving me an awkward sideways smile. That's one of the things I love most about this boy. Jake has such an incredible memory he can remember the smallest moments in detail. That's probably why he's so smart when it comes to all things school.

"Your memory is incredible," I reminded him.

"Eh I'm alright," he shrugged walking towards the nearly empty table that Peyton sat at across the good court.

"You're so, so, so-" I tripped over my words losing my train of thought. "I forgot what I was going to say!" I giggled pressing my palm up against my forehead. "See! I need your memory!"

"Nice one!" He laughed, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. The touch of his arm around my bare neck sent shivers up my spine. I had forgot how much I missed his soft touch. We may only be best friends but to me this moment was huge. I'm ashamed to say that I get excited whenever my best friend's skin makes contact with mine but it's true.

"Helloooo? Earth to Violet!" Peyton was violently waving her hand in my face with a look of disapproval on her face.

"What? Sorry. What did you say?"

"Jesh girl try not zoning next time!" She giggled flicking my arm. "I said I'll call you when you get home before the party."

"Okay sure, sounds good."

"See ya, girly!"

"Bye!"

Neither of a spoke until Peyton was already far from the food court. Jake was first to break the comfortable, surprisingly not awkward, silence.

"So what are you shopping for?"

"Mallory's birthday is today and I uh well I sort of kinda forgot," I trailed on.

"Hmm I guess you really do need some of my memory!" He teased, playfully punching my arm.

"Hey!" I objected, shoving away his arm. I tensed as my fingers met his and quickly dropped my hand to my side. "Your hands cold," I stated, saving myself from my own odd behavior.

"Not really, actually," he laughed, returning his arm to rest over my shoulder. "It's actual quite warm," he laughed tightening his grip. My face grew warm and I quickly shifted my face so that my hair would cover my blushing cheeks.

"So what's new?" I quickly changed the subject avoiding future embarrassment.

"Well for starters I just got my best friend back," he grinned. The comment made me smile. He truly was happy to have me back. Being in this moment right here right now I couldn't ever imagine just living the rest of my life without him.

"Well I think that's pretty dang awesome," I smiled lifting my arm to rest it around his waist.

"What about you? What's new?" He asked me brushing my hair out of my eyes and tucking it behind my ear. If this has been with any boy I'd swear he was about to lean in and kiss me but not Jake. This was his normal behavior. Just knowing a person your entire life automatically gives you this internal connection with each other.

"To be honest there had been nothing new, really."

"Nothing at all?"

"Honestly no, nothing at all," I sighed glancing down to study my feet as we walked. "Well, except according to Peyton I've been acting like a zombie the past few weeks" I added.

"That's funny, Zach's been telling me the same," he grunted and turned to face me. "He said it started as soon as we stopped talking." Zach was like Peyton. Of course Jake was my best friend and I was his but Peyton was my best friend who was a girl and Zach's was his best friend that was a guy.

"Peyton said the same," I whispered looking up to meet his eyes.

"Never again do we let this happen," he demanded.

"Never," I stated. You could probably sense a state of pure passion in my voice when I said that. I would never let something come between us ever again and I felt strongly for that.

At this point we had already made it half way across JCPenny, forgetting that I had to but Mallory's present.

Remembering his words from earlier I whispered, "You're moving," tears sprung to my eyes making them burn.

"I know, it sucks."

"It really does," I agreed whipping a few tears from my eyes.

"We'll get through this though," he reassured, "together." This caused all of my emotions to spew out of me all a once. Tears steamed down my face coating my cheeks with pools of a mixture of coverup and salt water at the word together. We would get through this together, but how long would it last?

"Wh-what wh-at if we g-grow ap-part?" I whimpered. Jake stopped me and pulled me towards a back wall. "I don't want to l-lose yo-"

"Violet stop. Please don't say that," he whispered and sat down up against the blank wall. I followed him, slowly lowering myself to the ground. "I won't lose you. I just can't."

"How do you know?"

"I just do. We have been best friends for sixteen years, nothing can get in the way of us."

Jake cared, he really did. Maybe even more than I did. We affected each other; we each held pieces of each other.

"You're right." I stood up adjusting my top. He followed, returning is grasp around my shoulder.

"C'mon you've got to go buy that present," he reminded me.

One simple shopping trip had transformed into a huge emotional reunion of past thoughts and feelings. If it weren't for my embarrassing lack of memory who knows where we would stand in our relationship right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here you go guys! Chapter two! Tell me what you think of it and don't forget to vote!:) Thanks:)

~Keeks02