Fourteen

-Mark-

"I can't believe you want to do this now!" I exclaimed to Holly as we walked around the hospital.

"You can't keep hiding it! You know you like him!" she exclaimed back to me.

Holly's bright idea was for me to come out to Jack that I might just like him whether he likes me or not. However that sounding too crazy for me, I just couldn't afford to dump all of my feelings on Jack. Plus I was confused as hell to say anything either.

"You don't know that and I sure as hell don't know it! I do know that you're only trying to help me out here but I can't wrap my head around the thought of me liking Jack in that manner and just going up to saying 'oh hey buddy, I have a huge crush on you. Let's get together.'"

She sighed. "So what, you're going to keep acting confused and like you have absolutely no feelings for him?"

We headed back to the room. "No. I just need to hear it come from him first."

"And if he doesn't?"

I shrugged. "Then I don't know."

She rolled her eyes as we entered the room and the first thing we noticed was Jack fast asleep on the couch. I closed the door quietly. "I guess that's why he was grumpy," Holly said quietly.

I looked at her confused. "What do you mean?"

"When I saw him after school he was being a bit rude and he looked a bit weak. At first I just thought that was his character that he picked up after you but now I see he was just sleepy."

I laughed. "Jack is the sweetest person you can ever meet, he's hardly rude to anyone."

"He got really weird when I asked him if you had a girlfriend."

I looked at her surprised and practically yelled, "You asked him what?"

We turned over at Jack who groaned at the sound of my voice and he said sleepily, "Mark shut up, I'm trying to sleep."

I went over to him and messed with his hair. "Sorry Jackaboy. Go back to sleep." When I try to take my hand away, he grabbed it and refused to let me go. "What's wrong Jack?"

The best he could he moved over and said quietly, "Sit down."

Once I did he placed the pillow on my lap and laid back down to sleep. A small smile appeared on his face when I started to play with his hair. His breathing slowed down slightly letting me know he was back to sleep. I watched him for a while and realized how adorable he was to be asleep. I didn't feel weird or uncomfortable for him there sleeping on my lap, in some sense it felt just right. I wish the moment could last forever.

Holly cleared her throat bringing me back to reality. "You look quite happy to have him there."

I glared at her. "Shut up. He just wanted me to play with his hair."

She laughed. "Whatever you say."

"But, um, what did he say once you asked him about me having a girlfriend?"

"He said that you didn't have one but he got really quiet and weird afterwards."

I sighed deeply and massaged my temples. "You don't ask Jack things like that, he'll start over thinking a lot and he'll come to a conclusion himself before you can explain anything to him. He probably think you were going to ask me out."

Her face washed over with guilt. "Oh my...I didn't mean to do that."

"But if you say he did get upset...that does have to mean something."

"Mark, stop hiding it already. You know you like him and you know that he likes you too. You two just keeping going around in circles. One of you is going to get hurt and I know for a fact it's not going to be you."

I looked at Jack who was still playfully sleeping. I couldn't imagine the thought of hurting him...

"Fine. I'll figure something out. I just need to be sure that this is what both of us want. Okay?"

She nodded. "Just do something quick. I honestly wouldn't want to see him get hurt." Then she looked at me curiously. "But what are you going to do?"

I didn't look at her and I kept playing with Jack's hair. "That's only for me and him to know."

She shrugged. "Just be careful." She looked at her watch. "I'm going to get going now. I'll see you later Mark."

She walked over to the door. "See you later Mark." Then she was gone.

My head started hurting as I kept thinking about the whole situation. Jack did mean the world to me but dating can lead to disaster in so many ways and I wasn't prepared for any of it. I didn't want my feelings to cause for us to draw apart or feel uncomfortable with each other. I needed to hear it from him first because then I would know that is what he wants...And I would give Jack the world.

He stirred slightly on my lap and woke up. "Mark?" he asked sleepily.

"Yeah, it's me Jack," I smiled down at him.

He yawned and rubbed his eyes. He looked at me with his ocean blue eyes. "Markimoo, can we go home now?"

I laughed slightly. "Yes Jackaboy. We can go home now."

He sat up and I helped him get up. I noticed he was sleepy so I surprised him by caring him on my back. He laughed slightly. "Thank you."

He laid his head on top of mine. "You're welcome."

Even now, I was still fighting the feelings.

But I didn't know how much longer I could stand this fight.