Eight

-Jack-

Mark wasn't talking to me all weekend and I started to get worried. He would never ignore me without a sudden warning. It was making me get nervous that I couldn't stand being alone anymore. I ended up hanging with Felix Sunday afternoon. He came over as soon as I told him that Mark wasn't talking to me.

When he showed up to my house, the first thing he noticed was that I didn't have my crutch. "Your ankle feeling better man?"

I nodded with a slight smile. "Yeah. I can finally walk and run on my own."

He smiled. "Good." Then he got serious. "So, what's with the whole Mark thing?"

"Let's head to the school because I really need to get out of the house. I'll explain on the way there."

"Whatever you want to do man."

We walked in silence for a while before I started to explain. "He's not answering any of my texts or calls Felix. I sent him one if he wanted to hang today but he never answered. He's never done this to me and I'm getting very worried. What if he never talks to me again...?"

"You need to calm down Jack. I understand you're worried but over thinking and drawing to a conclusion doesn't help."

"I don't know what else to do? Mark has been such a good friend to me and I might actually like him. So me losing him can cause a great deal of pain on me."

Felix sighed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder in comfort. "Hey, I get it. I told you that it's okay that you might feel that way about him but for now you need to know that I doubt he'll drop the friendship between you two."

I looked at him as I tried to calm down. "Do you really mean that or are you just trying to make me feel better?"

Felix laughed. "Of course that I mean it. I would never just make that up."

I sighed as I felt my nerves relax. "Do you wanna sit at the little seats they have in the back entrance?"

"Sure. Let's go."

We made our way over there as we kept talking about anything that was on our minds. I felt myself feeling very relaxed until Felix stopped in his tracks when we were about to reach the spot. "What's wrong?"

He looked straight ahead at a couple who was a couple feet away from us. Their backs were towards us. "Is that who I think it is?" He all of a sudden yelled, "Mark?!"

(A/n: This where the story repeats from the last chapter but with Jack's thoughts. So you guys can speed read this part if you wish c:)

The guy turned around and I saw the red hair. It was him. But who was the girl? The nerves were coming back.

"Come on, let's go over there." Felix said. I followed him as we approached Mark. Felix stood in front of me and asked, "What are you doing here?" His voice was strict as he said it.

I refused to look at Mark as he said, "I came here with a friend."

I looked at her. I didn't recognize her but she was very pretty. I noticed how well her and Mark looked together. My nerves were building up pretty bad in me.

Felix smiled and said, "Oh, you don't go to school with us, do?"

I looked down at my shoes trying to calm myself down as she answered, "Nope. I just ran into Marky here and we started chatting again. We used to go to the same elementary school."

Mark used to tell me stories about when he was in his elementary school. I knew how much he hated it and he told me he didn't like one single person there. So how come this girl and Mark seemed so comfortable with each other. It was bothering me so much at this point.

He finally introduced us. "Holly, this is Felix and Jack. Jack is the Irish fellow I was telling you about."

I looked up to see her smiling at me. "Ah so you're Mark's best friend."

I did my best to stay polite as I nodded. "Yeah that's me."

"I see you're finally of your crutch." He was finally talking to only me.

I continued to not make any eye contact with him because I felt like if I did I would explode. But I answered him. "My mom took me to the doctor again and he said I should finally walk on it again. It no longer hurts."

"That's good," he simply said.

Felix cleared his throat and turned to Mark. "So no wonder you haven't been answering any of Jack's messages, you've been busy. We wanted to know if you wanted to hang today but you never answered him. He was quite worried." I played with my fingers as my nerves were finally at its peak.

"I'm sorry. I needed time to myself. And then I saw Holly again and I just wanted to talk to her."

So he just needed time to himself but he didn't have the nerve to just tell me. And yet he could spend time with this girl here.

I looked up to see Holly casually wrap her arm around Mark's. "Mark was my best friend back then and I hope we can be best friends again."

I was finished when she said that. I felt my hands shake slightly and tears ready to form. He was going to replace me with her. I needed to get out of there.

I grabbed Felix's hand and said "We have to go!" I pulled him away and then we took off running.

We ran right back to my house. I took a seat on the front steps and I broke down crying as my body shook. My life felt like it was over. Mark was going to replace me for her. That was the only thing going through my mind. I was losing my best friend.

"Jack, what's going on? Talk to me," I heard Felix say.

"H-h-he's going to replace me," I stuttered out. "H-h-he doesn't care about me anymore."

Felix sat down next to me and hugs me tightly as I kept crying. "I know what happened, happened, but you can't just assume that Jack. You ran away before he could say anything to her. Try to calm down, please. I don't like to see you cry. Everything is going to be okay."

His words kept repeating in my head and I tried to calm down. "Really think so?"

"I know so. Now please calm down." He let me go and smiled gently.

I wiped the tears away with my sleeve and stopped shaking. "Thanks for being here."

"You want to stay over at my place?"

"Sure, let me just go tell my mom."

I ended up going to his place and we played a bunch of video games he had on his computer. Time to time I would go back to replay what happened with Mark but thanks to Felix I was able to keep myself sane. I didn't know what would happen tomorrow at school and I didn't know what was going to happen with Mark and I, however; I hoped we could handle it together.

-----

A/n: So that happened. Anyway i get confused with writing past to present so if you guys see anything wrong, plz let me know.