Revelation [Mini Arc-Part 1]

Ryoma's POV:

The moment I stepped inside the tennis court, I could feel the waves of frustration roll off of Seiichi. Why? I have no clue. But I knew that it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. He was pacing back and forth, occasionally stopping and looking thoughtful, but soon sighed and shook his head and going back to pacing. Except the regulars, everyone else was practicing.

"Oi, what happened?" Akaya questioned.

I shrugged.

"Seiichi seems annoyed, though," I replied.

Going against my better judgement, I walked up to him and bluntly asked.

"Buchou," I began, "what happened?"

Seiichi halted and turned towards me.

"Good, you and Akaya are here." He said. Placing a smile on his face, Seiichi walked to the entrance and started to make an announcement. "Everyone listen up! Unfortunately, our replacement slash backup, Shun Ibi, has moved to the US. As such, we will be needing a new backup! Matches will happen throughout the next 3 weeks. Sign up sheets will be available tomorrow!"

I cocked my head in confusion.

"But buchou," I asked quietly, "If it's only the matter of a backup, why are you so.......um.........frustrated?"

Seiichi looked surprised at my question.

"Rikkai Dai is famed for our victories and our 'prodigious' tennis regulars," Seiichi explained. "And that includes our backup. Ibi-kun was an all-rounder, has opened 1 of the 3 Pinnacles--the Pinnacle of Hard Work--has above average copying skills and is skilled in both singles and doubles. However, he still hasn't managed to qualify as a regular, and so landed as a backup. But the thing is, apart from the regulars and our backup, no one else can actually manage to hold their own against any of our opponents, unless it's one of those schools whose tennis teams are terrible and small."

I was still plenty confused. But before I can continue, I got pulled to a more secluded area--'for privacy', Seiichi told me. I began once again.

"But why is backup that necessary? I mean, I know that you need a backup in order to qualify, but--"

"Akaya gets hurt really easily.......You'll see soon enough," Seiichi replied in almost a whisper. "And our conditions........don't exactly let us stretch our limits much........"

Realization dawned on me.

"So you need someone that can pull out a win."

"Yes, exactly. Rikkai Dai don't have perfect members in the whole club. We know techniques that create intense strain on our bodies and since we are not yet fully grown, this creates a weakness. Therefore, we depend very much on our backup, stamina and teamwork."

I nodded in understanding.

"Wait, but why can't I become the back--"

"NO!" Seiichi interrupted loudly. "You will not, under no circumstances, become the backup!"

"But why?" I protested. "That way, it'll be good for everyone! I'll be able to keep my matches short and my name won't appear on the paper and--"

"I already said no," Seiichi growled lightly. "I don't care if everyone finds out you're from Seigaku. This is for your benefit as well as the team's. As backup, you'll be only finishing the games. You won't experience first hand the challenges and freshness of an opponent. You won't be able to improve as all! I will time your matches. We will have a backup that will switch with you once you reach the time limit. You will certainly stay as a regular under my watch."

I tried to protest, but Seiichi cut me off again.

"No is no, Ryoma," Seiichi told me softly. "This isn't up for debate. Go help me find a good backup, Ryo-kun. You will stay as a regular and improve."

Without another word, Seiichi sharply turned around and went back, his jacket that was draped over his shoulder bellowing behind him.

I sighed and followed him.

I wonder if Amori-senpai is anything like Fuji-senpai.........I thought with a small smile. Well, we'll just have to check........

A/N: Ok! So, news. There won't be an update tomorrow.....I have to go somewhere~~ But double update today! ^_^

PS: Did anyone catch the reference to KnB?? ^_<