Chapter 13 - Getting help

I was miserable with my situation, I could have the Constable break me out, but the Detective and the Sergeant would still come for me and I hadn't been able to possess either of them. In my despair I got to thinking who deserved this kind of pain and decided to interfere some more with Todd and Matilda. So I tuned into Todd's wavelength and found him at work on a drive to his car lot to check something, so I had him pick up his phone and write a text:

Matilda I think we need to take a break from our relationship because you're putting on too much weight.

My ex-wife replied: What has gotten into you. You've never been nasty like this before and you have never cared about my weight either!???? I love you and I don't want a break! I thought she would be angrier than that. Todd's body reacted against the text message and I couldn't stop him from pulling over and calling her and spilling out soppy apologies saying he felt like it wasn't even him writing the message and saying he was going to go and get help. Todd got off the phone and pulled back out onto the road. I couldn't get a clear picture from Todd as to what he was going to do so I was surprised when he arrived at the Priest's rectory. He walked in the old iron gate in the break in the hedge and strode up to the front door, rapping the knocker on the door. The Priest hurried to the door.

"Hi, how can I help you?"

"Father you've got to help me I think I'm possessed by a demon!" he said hurriedly.

"What is your name son?"

"I'm Todd Diver, I've heard you're a good man and I thought you could help me."

"Come in Todd let's sit down and have a talk." he led Todd into the house and into a lounge room lined with bookshelves and a big old grandfather clock in middle of the wall that was chiming out eleven o'clock.

"What makes you think you are possessed Todd?" said the priest as he sat down in one of the mismatched antique lounge chairs and motioned for Todd to do the same.

"There have been times this whole week where I have blacked out and said and done things that I would never do. When this happens I get a foul taste in the mouth like rotten eggs. It feels like my eyes are being pulled inside-out, I get a dry throat, and I get sticky oily skin. Sometimes it feels like I'm being touched and there is a pin pricking pain as well as sudden intense migraines."

"So why haven't you seen a Doctor about this?"

"I've seen the movies Father, I'm possessed and you can do an exorcism before this takes hold and then I will be fine."

"Look I can't do an exorcism unless the possession is proven and that must go before a council in the vatican who then send out a specialist to conduct a sanctioned exorcism. Seeing a Doctor is the first step in gaining evidence. I don't doubt that you may be possessed but I think it best we explore every other possibility first."

"You've got to help me Father this is destroying my relationship and I was just about to propose!" I was stunned at this since they had been seeing each other only such a short time.

"Look I'd like to see you attending my services, that would help your case, would you do that?"

"Yes, Father I'd be glad. Having this happen to me has reminded me that there is a higher power."

"May I give you a blessing?"

"Yes please." the Priest conducted a brief blessing.

"Oh that is strange I could have sworn I saw faces staring at me from inside your face."

"So I am possessed?"

"Oh I think it was just a trick of the old eyes, do you pray son?"

"I have said the rosary with my grandmother when I was a child."