Chapter 65. [Alyssae]

Alyssae looked at the rope around his waist. "Do you think it's safe to free you?"
Thorin shrugged indifferently. She had the feeling he believed it was best if he was bound for the rest of his life as long as she was around. 
"For now it is."
Alyssae kept silent. Now they had kissed, she had for a moment believed this problem was over, but they couldn't be sure. They had taken a big step together, although it was still unclear how their relationship would develop. 
There were however important decisions that had to be made and Alyssae felt unhappy as long as she spoke with a man who was bound. He no longer was her prisoner and he surely wasn't Eldinòr's. She had no idea how he would react on all this, but the idea that Thorin could defend himself was a relief. 
"I trust you. You have to keep control of yourself." She took his hand between her fingers. "Anger has ruled your life for far too lang. It's about time we are going to clear some things up."
He looked a little dazed at her, so that she felt a bit uncomfortable. "Do you have any idea who could have burnt my letters? I heard Kíli speak about someone who was called Vaughn..."
The glance in his eyes became alert again. He didn't answer immediately, but stood up and stretched his muscles. The long waiting on the ground had made his joints stiff. 
"Vaughn?" He sighed. "I can't imagine he would do something like that."
"What is he like?"
Thorin shrugged. "He has always been there for me. He even saved my life just after the orcs set their trap. If he had evil intentions, there have been easier ways to get rid off me."
Alyssae held her elbow with her right hand and watched him with growing doubts. "Did he suggest to forget about me?"
"Our city was losing lives because of my feelings for you," Thorin answered. "Even Dis died. I needed no one to tell me what to do." 
In silence she thought about his words. Thorin never believed he needed someone who told him what to do, but that didn't take away the possibility that someone had whispered things in his ear. 
"Vaughn however wanted me to marry his sister," he admitted after a while. He sighed deeply and Alyssae knew he was trying to scrutinize the intentions of his friend. For Alyssae it was clear the man had betrayed him, but why? For his own good, or that of Thorin?
"You have to return to Erebor," she said softly. "In case he does have evil intentions."
"I don't think we have to worry yet. He can't treat the people worse than I have done."
Alyssae noticed an almost begging look in his eyes. He didn't want to go back. 
"You have to take your responsibilities."
"Yes," he admitted and he looked up to her. "But not know." He placed his hand on her hip. "I don't want to leave you yet. I - I am not ready." 
Alyssae tried to swallow the lump in her throat. She caressed his cheek and looked into his desperate eyes. She didn't believe it was a good idea to return now, but she neither liked the idea of staying on Eldinòr's ship. 
"If you decide to go back, you won't be alone." She bowed forward to kiss his forehead.
Alyssae stretched her back when someone opened the hatchway. Philae appeared on top of the stairs. 
"Plans have changed!  He rose his eyebrows when he saw Thorin standing upright, no longer bounded. "Not only the plans of the captain, I see." 
"Just tell us what's going on." She couldn't help to step forward. As if Thorin was a little child who couldn't stand up for himself. Quickly she walked to Philae, before Thorin realized what she was doing and became angry again. 

"Raphael sent a letter. You have to go back." 
Her heart became filled with joy. "Did he found Niamh?"

"No," Philae answered. "But don't worry about that. I will go on shore and pay Thranduil a little visit. If she's there, I won't leave without her." He winked. "Well, I am waiting for a passionate hug to thank me."
Alyssae grinned and took the last steps to embrace him. "Are you sure?"
"As sure as can be. I expect an enormous party when I return." He let go of her and looked at Thorin. "Well, what are you going to do, matey? Is a little thanks too much to ask?"
"Thanks," Thorin grumbled. His eyes were cold, which didn't escaped Philae's attention. 
"Clearly it's a mortal sin to share hugs with you," he noticed. "And world's greatest sinners are precisely on this ship."
He embraced Alyssae once again, stuck out his tongue to Thorin and climbed up the stairs. "If I return with you daughter, I expected a big hug from you too, mate!"