9. Family [Raphael]

"Are you nervous?" Alyssae asked. 

"Of course," he grinned. "You only marry once."

She gave him a watery smile. He hoped she could smile tomorrow, for she hadn't done that since she had returned home. The last months hadn't made things better. In the end she had told him about the dwarf who had made her pregnant. He had insisted for a very long time, but when she started to cry more often, he had forced her to tell her story. 

Since then he had hoped time would heal her wounds, but nothing could be less true. She kept looking longing to the sky, hoping to see a pigeon with a letter, but the bird from Erebor did not show itself.

"I am happy for you," Alyssae said softly. "Although it's hard to feel happy about anything those days."

He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close, kissing her temple. He placed his hand on her bump. "It won't take long before this small one will bring light into your world."

At least - that was what he was hoping. After all it was a crossing between an elf and a dwarf and he could hardly imagine what that would look like. He just saw a small Alyssae, a little firmly built than was usual for an elf, but furthermore the child would undoubtedly be as beautiful as his or her mother. 

"If it only keeps low tomorrow."

Raphael smiled and watched the stars that were reflected in the water. "It would be unbelievable if you would give birth tomorrow. Then you'll get two new family members in the same day."

Alyssae leaned against him. "You have been my family for a very long time, Raph. Long before my sister caught your eye."

. . .

They looked up in disturbance when they heard an unknown song. It was led by the wind and curiously his eyes followed the course of the river, where a large ship appeared. 

Alyssae stood up and from the longing glance in her eyes he concluded she hoped the ship brought her dwarf friends, but he knew better.

"Aye, brother!"

Before Raphael could even react, a red-haired elf glided down adeptly, landing between Alyssae and him. He didn't know what to say and stared at the elf, with his unusual clothes, tattooed chest, bright green eyes and enormous grin. It had been more than hundreds years since he had seen his brother.

"Stop staring like that and introduce me to that beautiful woman on your side. Is that her?"

"I - no, that's her sister," he reacted, totally confused. 

His eyes wandered across Alyssae and then he kissed her hand. "I'm Eldinòr, Raphael's elder brother."

"Alyssae," she answered, almost as confused as he was. 

He saw she aimed her questioning look at him, but their eye contact was broken when Eldinòr hugged him tightly. 

"Marrying without family members around is asking for trouble."

Raphael kept silent. Of course he was glad that his brother wanted to attend the occasion - that he was here at all - but it would raise many questions. His wife-to-be didn't even know he had family...

"Well, we've traveled far."

Eldinòr hadn't changed much. He still liked to hear his own voice and didn't bother to share his opinion. He nodded at his men and hit his shoulder. 

"I - I'll make sure you'll get some food," Alyssae said.

She wanted to walk away, but Eldinòr grabbed her wrist. "Take it easy, sweetheart." He glanced at her belly. "You're the last one who should be busy."