Chapter 60. [Alyssae]

Alyssae was glad there was a strong wind, for it made the tears in her eyes disappear. If Thorin couldn't believe he could control himself, it would never happen. He needed confidence and Alyssae had no idea how to give it to him. Of course she could tell him that he had been a brave leader when they went after Smaug, but that was a long time ago and Thorin believed he was only a shadow of the hero the dwarfs sung about. 
"He's getting better, hmm? He was calm."
Alyssae didn't look a side, wondering how much Eldinòr had heard of their conversation. 
"He's giving up," Alyssae mumbled. She stared in the distance, not willing to show her tears. "It feels like he has lost all of his combativeness. He no longer wants to fight for a better future, for he thinks  he is doomed to fail anyway."
"We have to strengthen that flame again."
Alyssae kept silent. 
"His emotions are quite to the fore. He is consumed by anger, powerlessness, guilt and self-hate. We have to make sure something else predominates."
"Such as?" Her answer sounded capricious. Thorin wasn't the only one who was giving up. 
Alyssae startled when Eldinòr suddenly placed his hand on her hip, turning her around. 
"Jealousy will shake him awake."
His fingers on her cloth made it hard to breath. 
"I think he'll be glad to hear I'm with someone else."
Eldinòr laughed. His nose touched hers and she started to sweat. "I bet he wants to believe that, but I dare to swear he changes his mind when he really sees us."
Alyssae leaned back in consternation. "I'm not going to kiss you in front of him. He'll hate me for that."
Eldinòr shrugged. "It's the only possibility he's giving you. Maybe it will change his mind."
She said nothing, not knowing whether it would work. Although  they could try at least. 
 "Bring him his food tonight."
Swallowing her tongue she stared at him, not knowing what to say. He came closer. "And if he does not take the bait... then I think we've waited long enough."
He laid the palm of his hand against her cheek, lowering down until he found her collar-bone. His breath touched her face and her chest rose. 
"Then I will take him back to his dark hole and make sure he will disappear out of your thoughts."
His lips floated before hers and she stared confused in his eyes. He chuckled and gave her a quick wink before he turned around.

The rest of the day Alyssae felt nervous. She had no idea what Eldinòr's plan was and doubted their was any chance it would succeed Although they knew each other for a while now, she knew nobody who was so hard to see through. She really had no idea what was on his mind. 
While the men sat around the table to eat, Alyssae picked up Thorin's portion. She was unable to make a single bite anyway. She was torn by doubts so heavily that she missed the last step when she descended in the hold. She twisted her knee and cursed under her breath. She however did save herself from looking extremely silly when she found back her balance and kept the plate in her hands. 
"I have your dinner," Alyssae announced, needless to say, and she put it on the ground. 
Thorin nodded and took the plate in his hands. Awaiting he watched her, clearly hoping she would leave soon. 
"You surprised me today," Alyssae said softly. "I had expected you to react differently on my message about Niamh."
Thorin shrugged out. "I found out it's mostly me who suffers under my anger screams."
"Are you angry?" she asked uncertainly. "Because I lost Niamh?"
He had put the plate on his lap. "I can hardly be happy about it, but I am used to your stupid actions."
"That doesn't sound very friendly."
Alyssae hadn't heard him entering the hold. How long was he listening to them?
Thorin's eyes changed into slits. "Well, I am not very friendly, in case you haven't noticed . I assumed that's the reason I'm still chained."
Eldinòr stepped behind her. "That's to learn you some manners. You clearly do not understand how to treat a princess."
Her breath caught when he held her hips. "Maybe I can teach you some things. Denying your feelings while this beautiful woman shows interest in you, isn't a very good way to answer to her love."
She froze when his lips suddenly touched her neck. His fingers pressed the skin around her hips, while his lips moved further down. 
Nervously she watched Thorin, who had forgotten the food on his plate and watched them with a pale face. Alyssae wanted to push Eldinòr away, but his kissed sped up her breathing. It seemed centuries ago someone had touched her this way. 
"You may take my place, if you want, master dwarf," Eldinòr promised. 'All you have to do is say it. As long as you don't, I assume you still think you can learn from me."
Alyssae felt goose bumps all over her body. It felt so glorious. So glorious she felt guilty. 
She wished Thorin said something, that he told Eldinòr to stop, or even that he remarked that didn't care. But he said nothing, only stared at them. 
"I do not know if I want this," she mumbled.
"I think we both know that's a lie," the elf whispered and his warm lips touched her earlobe. The kisses in her neck became firmer and Alyssae started to panic when his hands glided over her belly and enclosed her breasts. 
In a reflex Alyssae tore loose and she knocked backwards with her elbow, hitting Eldinòr's eye. "Know your limits," she grumbled. 
Her eyes were drawn to Thorin when she heard him chuckle. 
"And that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid."