Chapter Six: Worthy

"But it's a trick," Clint yelled, twirling a pair of drum sticks, I knew he was always skeptical of Thor's hammer. Though I never understood why, considering he was close to me and  has seen my powers.

"Oh, no. It's much more than that," Thor said confidently, setting the hammer down on the table in front of us. 

"Uh, 'Whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power!' Whatever man. It's a trick," Clint scoffed again.

"Scared you can't lift the small little hammer," I said, egging him on. He gave me a look, obviously surprised I addressed him. I knew there would be know way he would be able to lift it. None of us could. 

"Well, please be my guest," Thor said, gesturing towards the hammer sitting on the table.

"Come on," Tony said, obviously wanting to see this happen.

"Really?" Clint asked, unsure, but I could tell he really wanted to.

"Yeah," Thor said simply. He didn't seem concerned at all. He most likely assumed none of us were worthy. Most of us probably weren't. 

We all watched as Clint got up, walking cockily over towards the hammer.

"Oh, this is gonna be beautiful," Rhodes said, barely holding in his laughter.

"Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up," Tony said mockingly.

Everyone, including Steve, let out a laugh at that one.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint said. Referring to his mission SHIELD assigned him when Thor and his hammer first showed up. Barton then completely went for it and grabbed the hammer. We all watched as he pulled on it as hard as he could. It didn't move at all. Not even a centimeter.

"And I still don't know how you do it," Clint admitted, letting out his own laugh.

"Smell the silent judgement?" Tony asked, referring to Thor's clear aura of superiority.

"Please, Stark, by all means," Clint said. "And when you can't get up Tony,  why don't you give it a try Smith? You seem extremely smug about all of this."

"Oh it's on," I said, smiling confidently, even though I knew there was no way I would ever be worthy.

Stark stood up then, flicking the hem of his jacket.

"Oh here we go," Natasha spoke up.

"Never one to shrink from an honest challenge," Tony said to the team. Eating up the attention we were all giving him.

"Get after it," Clint said.

"Yeah Stark I want to see just how worthy you are," I said to him, laughing the entire time. 

"Here we go," Natasha said, everyone chorused a series of mhmm's. We all knew the kind of dramatic play he would make of this.

"It's physics," Tony said to all of us as he stared down at the hammer.

"Physics!" Bruce said sarcastically.

Tony quickly grasped the hammer, dramatically pausing.

"Right, so, if I lift it, I... I then rule Asgard?" he asked, turning to Thor.

"Yes, of course," Thor nodded.

"That is quite the scary thought," I muttered.

"I will be re-instituting Prima Nocta," he said quickly before tugging on the hammer. It didn't budge, there was a small look of defeat on his face. But it was only there for a moment. "I'll be right back."