CaKe Is The New Black (3)

I was beginning to adjust to life in prison, I'd learnt not to use the showers without flip-flops on, how to make my bed so it passes inspection and not to fuck with Red (long story). I'd found out that not only was prison, lonely and depressing, it was also boring as fuck. I'd read pretty much all of the good books in the library after about a month of being in the place.

One evening, after an incredibly taxing day of taking things out of the dryer and folding them, I found myself browsing the shelves of the library for the third time in about four days. Again, finding nothing worth reading, I was flicking through a copy of Sinful Chocolate, when something caught my eye.

On the shelf behind, there was a plastic bag resting on top of the books. It wasn't there when I'd been in here the day before, I took it down. Inside were two rolled cigarettes, I opened the bag up. Correction, two joints. I closed back the bag again and tucked them into the waistband of my trousers.

I awkwardly, ran-walked out to the yard, running straight into Nicky,
"Woah, Jenner," She exclaimed,
"I'm so sorry! Have you seen Cara?"
"Yeah she's by the tree," She smirked,
"Cool thank you," I said quickly, rushing past her.

I spotted her, she was by the tree, reading what looked like a dictionary,
"Hey babe," She smiled, I sat down next to her,
"Hey," I breathed, "Look what I found," I took the plastic bag out of my waistband and handed it to Cara,
"Joints," She said slowly, "Where?"
"Library," I grinned,
"You're fucking insane. We have five minutes until count and you're gonna reek of weed,"

She was already stood up and stuffing the bag into her bra, I stood up quickly, practically running after her,
"Where are you going? Cara wait!" I called after her,
"The laundry room, I need to hide these Kendall,"

We paced it through the prison,
"Wait here," She told me, as we reached the entrance of the laundry room, I nodded. The second she left me, I noticed about 5 metres away from me, a CO, walking down the corridor, towards us.

"You're out of bounds inmate," I heard him call,
"Umm hi, I'm new and I'm lost can you help me find the suburbs?" I tried my best to distract him,
"Um, straight down the corridor, on your right,"
"Um thanks," I smiled, starting to walk away from him.

"Hey um, officer," I called, he turned around, "Could you walk with me? This place still scares me,"
I made eye contact with Cara over the guards shoulder, as he looked at me, confused. I smiled at him, as sincerely as I could manage,
"Um yeah sure,"
"Thanks CO uhh.... Bayley," I said as I read his name off of his name tag.

He walked me to my dorm, where I quickly made my way to my cube, Nicky was already there,
"What's the matter with you? Where's eyebrows?" Nicky asked,
"Long story," I smiled nervously, relief washing over me as Cara filed into the room. Nicky eyed me suspiciously, shaking her head.

I looked over at Cara, who over-dramatically wiped her brow, I smirked. Fixing my eyes on the ground as the CO came over and counted us. Nicky left the cube shortly after and Cara entered it.
"Hey," She grinned,
"I'm sorry about that,"
"About what,"
"About almost getting both of our asses sent to max,"
"Don't worry," She smiled, putting an arm around me and pulling me into her.

I smiled to myself, realising that although this entire situation was a pile of shit, and prison was a pile of shit, and my life was going to be a pile of shit once I got out, when I was with Cara it was sort of like masking the shit with air freshener. It didn't make the shit go away, but it was a little more bearable.

Hello!
Sorry for waiting so long to make another part of this! I really enjoy writing these, I just had massive writer's block. Hope you enjoy this!
Lauren X