I nod, but my jaw is clenched too tightly to say anything to him.

Before I have time to panic anymore, Mr. Denham strides to the center of the gym, the cord for his microphone dragging behind him. "Thanks for coming to this meeting," he says, coming to a stop in front of the podium. "On the agenda today we're going to discuss prom and graduation. Namely, we'll be announcing this year's valedictorian and salutatorian."

My stomach falls to the floor of the gym and probably below, down through the school's basement and into the dirt. Now I feel like I'm going to be sick on top of everything.

"Since I know a lot of you are eager to find out, I'll go ahead and start with that." Mr Denham sets his notecards down on the podium and begins flipping through them. Why hadn't I thought to write myself notes?

"This year was the closest race in Aquino High's history for valedictorian," says Mr. Denham. "But as with everything at Aquino High, there's only one first place."

No, I want to say. We can tie. Allison and I can take it together—wouldn't it be better that way?

"I'm pleased to announce that this year's valedictorian is Erika Soto. Erika, come on up to the podium, please."

My vision blurs. Around me, people are patting me on the back, shouting congratulations in my ear, and pushing me forward. I can't think as I'm shoved to my feet; clumsily, I trip over my shoes. Then I start walking, towards the podium and Mr. Denham. In my peripheral vision, I see Liam standing and making his way over to the sound booth.

With a jolt, I realize that this is the perfect opportunity. Things have fallen into place even better than I could have expected.

I've reached Mr. Denham. He shakes my hand enthusiastically, his cheerful smile projecting to the back of the bleachers. "Nice work, Erika," he says so only I can hear. "You've been a model student during your time here, and I'm sure you'll represent your graduating class well."

Numbly, I shake his hand. Something crackles from the sound booth, and slowly the wild applause from the bleachers halts.

"Mr. Denham." My voice comes out scratchy and raw. Clearing my throat, I try again. "Mr. Denham. Can I have the podium for a second?"

"This announcement doesn't usually come with a speech."

"Please." I try to convey the importance of my message with my eyes, and either Mr. Denham sees that or he takes pity on me, because he nods.

Every one of my steps, I'm certain, is one movement closer to my doom. I find myself standing behind the podium seconds later, staring back at everyone at Aquino High. The enormity of what I'm about to do starts to overcome me, causing tears to prick at my eyes.

Don't cry. Don't cry. You're not going to cry in front of everyone.

Hands rest on my shoulders behind me. Liam has returned from the sound booth and is standing behind me; he angles his head and says softly, "You've got this Soto."

I shut my eyes and take comfort in his presence before he steps away.

"First of all, I know I'm not supposed to be making a speech right now," I say. "This isn't about me being valedictorian. In fact, I was planning on making this speech even before I knew that I was number one in the class."

I try not to look at the front of the bleachers, at my sister. If the roles were reversed, I know I'd be crushed. Instead I focus on the very back row, at the freshmen. At least they don't look antagonistic that I'm wasting their valuable time.