Decisions and Confrontations

That night I was restless. I had cried my eyes dry and the moon had taken its place high in the dark sky.

I didn't even bother eating. I was just so frustrated at everything and everyone that I couldn't do anything else but cry.

I felt so powerless. I wasn't a dungeon capturer, neither did I have enormous amounts of magoi like those crazy magicians.

But I could use a bit of clairvoyance magic. But it wasn't that impressive, if anything it would be normal.

Thinking about all those things just gives me no hope at ever living a life beyond getting married off.

I loved Kou and I loved its people. I had always considered the country when making decisions, as did my siblings.

I rarely go outside or talk to any men in parties because I was afraid I would fall for someone who was not strategically important for Kou.

Since I was born, I was always told that my marriage must be useful.

That my life did not belong to me but to the empire.

But sometimes, I can't help but feel like there is something more to my life than this.

I felt my eyelids getting heavy. As I almost fell into slumber I heard the door creak open.

Surprised, I immediately sat up. Who could it be at this time of the night.

I stiffened as I saw a tall shadow enter the room.

"So, you are still awake."

The shadow said finishing his sentence with a sigh.

I could recognize that voice anywhere.

" What- *sniff* what do you want? It's past appropriate for you to come visit me today."

I said pouting and wiping my eyes.

*sigh* "You have more experience visiting me past appropriate hours."

He retorted.

"Wha- T-those times were completely different Koumei-nii!!!"

My older brother let out a soft chuckle.

"Glad you still haven't fallen into depravity after what happened."

"Oh, please. I might be depressed but I knew it was bound to come sooner or later. Even the other younger princesses got married off. I heard Kougyoku was sent to Balbadd as well."

I felt ashamed. The other princesses were doing their duties yet I couldn't.

"Well, Kougyoku's marriage was put off. It was just a formality though. Balbadd became one with the empire the moment their king became greedy. Besides, it still isn't the time for you to be married off."

True, Balbadd was a very trade wealthy country but it was all because of their past king. The recent ki-

"Wait, I'm not arranged yet?"

I stared confusion forming in my face.

"Bet you didn't see that one coming."

Koumei-nii said as a matter of factly.

Before I knew it my arms were wrapped around my older brother's waist.

The happiness was just so reassuring that I couldn't control myself.

"Ehem. This is inappropriate."

"Ridiculous! I'm just so happy. Thank you."

"Don't thank me. I'm merely a messenger. It was all Kouen-nii-sama's idea."