The Baby Blue Canoe

Start from the beginning

"Okay, I'll be right back, Jonny." Margot stood, shook out her legs and turned for the cottage.

"Don't take too long, we don't want to miss out on the fun." The boy said, letting another stream of lake water dribble onto his turban.

Those words caught her.

She didn't want to miss out on the fun.

She'd already missed out on so much already and she needed to return to the city with a fun story. She couldn't bare Jonny saying "You spent all summer sitting alone on the dock!?" She needed something that would make her friend's adventures seem mild in comparison. Maybe they'd feel they missed out on all her exciting adventures. She imagined Kat pushing her, flabbergasted, "You fooled around with him didn't you!? Don't lie to me!"

Margot carefully took in the blue eyed boy in the baby blue canoe. He was small and pale and his blue eyes shimmered. His toned muscles gave off a nice glint.

She was not going to let an irrational fear of this lake being evil or something stop her anymore. It's just a lake. She watched children play in it all summer. She'd watched water skiers, swimmers, and people jumping off sail boats.

"You know what?" Margot said.

"I don't." He said.

"Let's do it! Let's go to the camp out!"

"What about your mom?"

"Can you have me home before dark?"

"Sure!"

The boy held the canoe steady by holding the dock as she climbed in.

Margot took one look back at the dock as the baby blue canoe pushed off into the lake. She immediately began to feel free. There was a cool wind in her hair and she thought to herself I spent half the summer afraid of the water for nothing. Excitement grew in her stomach. She liked the feeling of the water beneath her parting for the boat. She wondered who'd she meet at the camp out. If these would become her new summer friends. August was beginning to feel hopeful.

She turned back to blue eyed boy as he used his small but muscular arms to reverse paddle into the middle of the lake. He was quieter and he could hear him panting, which Margot attributed to the hard work of paddling.

"It's nice out here." Margot said, still shielding her eyes from the sun.

Nothing from the blue eyed boy.

"How do you know all these kids. Are they all from town?"

Still nothing. Only the sound of the wooden paddle sloshing through the cool water.

They were in the middle of the lake when the blue eyed boy reversed his paddling turning the canoe three-hundred and sixty degrees.

Finally, Margot's eyes were out of the sun. She could see tiny faeries dancing in her vision. The sun now shone on the blue eyed boy like a spot light, but he didn't squint at all. Margot now noticed somethings about the boy she had not noticed earlier. His skin wasn't just pale, it was translucent. Like a thin layer of soft candle wax smeared over blueish green veins. It almost looked like his skin was a whitish snotty mucous smeared to look like muscles.

The boy smiled. Now she could see he had no teeth. Just deep red gums.

"You know, I think I forgot my phone. Do you mind turning back for just a sec?"

The boy pulled his paddle from the water and rested it across his lap. Then he rocked the boat aggressively. Margot was jerked right, then left. She shrieked and held on tight. Her body stiffened.

"Don't do that! I don't like that. Take me back now!"

She could sense the boy becoming excited. He began to pant and buried in that pant was a croak. He rocked the boat again.

"Stop that!"

Water sloshed into the boat. Margot lifted her feet, not letting the lake touch her.

He rocked the boat back and forth, his gleeful croaking gurgling from his toothless smile. Margot screamed. The blue eyed boy laughed, not the warm laugh from earlier, but one that matched his big froggy smile. He pulled off his t-shirt turban: there was no hair, only a bald dimpled dome.

Margot put her feet up on the seat, holding on for dear life. She looked into the boy's eyes.

His eyes.

His blue eyes.

They weren't really blue. Just like the lake, it was only a sheen of blue. His eyes were black. Big black eyes that sagged near his wide gummy mouth.

He rocked the boat again and again, water pouring in with each tilt.

"What are you going to do?" Margot whimpered.

"Play. And then eat." He croaked.

The end. 

Hey Yarnballs!

Well, here's the newest yarn. What did you think? Can you guess how it's connected? Have you begun to see the yarns? Let me know! And remember, to avoid being locked in box and fed to the Notorious GOO make sure to share with friends. Let's make the yarns strangle the world! NUMBER 1! NUMBER 1! NUMBER! (I'm of course referring to having to go pee!)