☾ lance ☽ homesick

The halls of the Castleship were quiet. Allura and Coran were on the bridge, chatting and making sure everything was moving along smoothly. Pidge was in the lab, her hands flying around her gadgets with great care, too involved to explain what she was doing. Keith and Shiro were training, their weapons a blur of silver and red; it was their way of getting their minds off of everything that was happening. And Hunk, well, where else would he be? The kitchen.

As for Lance? You didn't know. That concerned you. The first thought that came to your mind was that he was causing trouble somewhere. Maybe not; maybe he was taking a "beauty nap." Ugh. Either way, you didn't like not knowing where he was.

Making it your personal mission to locate him, you started making your way to his room. It was as good a place to start as any. Besides, if he was napping, the search was over. Then, maybe you could get him to train with Keith and Shiro. It was always a show to see him face off with Keith.

Your feet echoed in the lonely halls. Tap tap tap. There was nothing else to be heard.

Lance's door came into view. Once facing it, you opened the door just a crack to peak inside. You knew something was wrong as soon as you looked.

First, you heard the quiet sniffling. Then, you saw Lance, curled up on his bed, knees being held against his chest, his head tilted towards his knees. Tears streaked his face and his body shook every when he couldn't choke down his sobs. His body glowed in the light of the holographic image in front of him.

It was a picture of his family.

When Lance noticed you staring, his eyes nearly popped out of his head as he scrambled to wipe his eyes and regain what little composure he had left. He was mortified that anyone, let alone you, had seen him in this condition.

"W-what do you want?!" he yelled, his voice cracking as he nearly fell out of his bed. The hologram flickered and disappeared.

"Lance," you replied, opening the door fully.

Your voice was soft and caring; worried. Lance hated it. He didn't need your pity; he didn't want it. He didn't want you to see him weak and broken, blubbering like a baby. He didn't want you to feel obligated to comfort him, but he knew you wouldn't do anything but that.

"You miss your family; don't you?" Taking a single step into his room, you made sure he didn't protest before you continued, closing the door for privacy and walking over to where Lance stood.

Holding a neutral expression, he tried to remain calm and collected, but it was no use. You could see through his façade. His eyes were bloodshot and puffy. Although he wasn't crying at the moment, the remains of messily wiped tear stains streaked his cheeks. He could barely hold eye contact.

"So much," he replied, giving in and letting his shoulders slump forward. "I can't get them out of my head. All the silly little things I used to take for granted are making me so homesick. And it just makes me feel worse that they're all probably worried out of their minds since I just went missing one day, no explanation, nothing." A long, heavy sigh escaped his lips.

Stepping forward, you wrapped your arms around his chest, enveloping him in a warm, comforting hug. Lance immediately responded, throwing his arms around your neck. He squeezed the breath out of you, desperate for any affection, and soon relaxed into your arms.

"You won't be away from your family forever," you said, talking softly in his ear. "By being here, you are ensuring their safety. And when we are done, you get to return home a hero. You get to return home to your family, safe and sound. And until that happens, you've got your new family to help you." Lance's chest vibrated against yours as he laughed quietly at the idea that he had a new family. "We might not be the best," you continued, resting your head against his, "but we're here for you."

"Yeah, thanks [y/n]," Lance replied. You could feel him sigh again, but something about this one was different than the last one. It was a sigh of content. "But there's no way I'm calling Keith my brother."

You laughed; and there he was: good old Lance, back to his usual self. You hadn't realized how much you missed his normal personality.

"What are you talking about?" you scoffed. "The two of you fight enough; I would never have guessed that you couldn't be brothers."

Lance joined your laughter, pulling away from your hug. His familiar toothy grin was back on his lips, a sight for sore eyes.

Family. A perfect word to describe it.

------------------------------------------
a/n: well first time writing voltron, I hope I didn't butcher the personality lmao

feedback? id love to hear what you think, or if you have any requests!